Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-01-2004, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My advertising campaign

OK, my brother and I have always done flyers. But I feel the effectiveness of them has gone way down. So next spring I want to try out Direct Mail.
So my question is, where can I find a mailing list that is not too expensive? Also, when I get the list, do I take that to the post office or what? I know there are companies that will send out postcards and whatnot, but what is the most cost-efficient method?
Old 12-01-2004, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

From the information that I have gotten, you will want to pay the good money so that you get a list that is targeted to the people that you want to reach. Also it is better to have a company do the mailing so that you don't sit down with 5000 post cards and figure out how to address and stamp. The post office will get you a bulk mailing order but the mailing house should handle most everything for you. Do a search on here, I got most of my info from my search.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

There is a company in Maryland that services the states around here(WV, Ohio, Md,Va,Pa), called Mail Marketing Systems. That is who we used this year, and probably next spring as well.Full color flyers(20K) were sent to targeted zipcodes, and they do all the work like setup, art, logo insertion, etc., and it's not ready until you say so. The price was $ 500.00 per ten thousand.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I did 5000 postcards last spring. In my case, it was much better to have my printer do the mailing for me. I paid $300 for the list. For a small fee, I could have had them mail me the labels. And for more money, have them mail me the postcards. Then I would had to take the time to peel the labels and do the same with the stamps. If I bought the stamps, I would have spent .23 each. They charged me .20 each, printed the addresses on the postcards and mailed them for me. I have heard of getting a bulk rate on postages, but not sure if it would have saved me much when considering the shipping cost of the postcards and the massive time it would have taken me. Just a guess, but I think it would of taken about 50 hours to do that many label and stamp peeling. How would I know? I did about 100 earlier this spring and if I remember right, took right around an hour. I used www.postcardwarehouse.com to do mine. Cost me about $2K for 5000 postcards. I am sending out 25,000 flyers at a cost around $3.5K next spring. Plus, these are full color 8.5" x 11" flyers...both sides compared to 4.25" X 6" postcards. Here is a scanned image...the look better in real life...very glossy also.
Attached Images

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 12-01-2004, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker-talker
I did 5000 postcards last spring. In my case, it was much better to have my printer do the mailing for me. I paid $300 for the list. For a small fee, I could have had them mail me the labels. And for more money, have them mail me the postcards. Then I would had to take the time to peel the labels and do the same with the stamps. If I bought the stamps, I would have spent .23 each. They charged me .20 each, printed the addresses on the postcards and mailed them for me. I have heard of getting a bulk rate on postages, but not sure if it would have saved me much when considering the shipping cost of the postcards and the massive time it would have taken me. Just a guess, but I think it would of taken about 50 hours to do that many label and stamp peeling. How would I know? I did about 100 earlier this spring and if I remember right, took right around an hour. I used www.postcardwarehouse.com to do mine. Cost me about $2K for 5000 postcards. I am sending out 25,000 flyers at a cost around $3.5K next spring. Plus, these are full color 8.5" x 11" flyers...both sides compared to 4.25" X 6" postcards. Here is a scanned image...the look better in real life...very glossy also.
How was the response/close rate of the 5000 this spring?

Also, the 8.5x11's that you are sending out, are those just going to be mailed directly out like the postcards? Curious to see if you know what that costs per sheet to mail?

Thanks,
Old 12-01-2004, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnchoice
How was the response/close rate of the 5000 this spring?

Also, the 8.5x11's that you are sending out, are those just going to be mailed directly out like the postcards? Curious to see if you know what that costs per sheet to mail?

Thanks,
I need to do a final cost analysis, but off hand, it's looking around .14 a sheet....that's for the design, print, shipping and cost of delivery. They will be inserted into neighborhood newsletter...which is averaging around .04 per sheet for delivery. 25,000 flyers to 15,000 homes. 9,000 homes will get them once and the other 6,000 homes will get them 3X....one month apart...starting in March.

As far as response rate on the postcards....not real good. Although, I could not handle all the calls due to working 3rd shift full time job. For mowing, I picked up 4 new clients totalling about $4500 in gross revenues. Might of picked up another $1000 in one-time jobs. I am guessing I might of received about 30-40 calls total. They were sent out at the beginning of the mowing season, that made it tougher since I work 45 hours at job, running around trying to give estimates and finding the time to actually do the work. I am shooting to go full-time at this in the spring. What I will do is probably schedule vacation each time the flyers go out...just a thought.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 12-01-2004, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Matt
Looks really good you should have know problem going full time next year,I have noticed the last couple of years you have been doing big ads so it sounds like you have a good plan.

www.luxurylawninc.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/LarryN828
Old 12-01-2004, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi lawnranger44,

Quote:
Also, when I get the list, do I take that to the post office or what? I know there are companies that will send out postcards and whatnot, but what is the most cost-efficient method?
Here is an article that might be helpful

Take Advantage of Bulk Mail and Other Shipping Discounts