Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-01-2004, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Scissor hoist brand preference etc

Like the title says what is your guys brand preference for a scissor hoist ?

I want to make a 12x8 flatdeck dump on a F-Superduty (F-450) the truck usually hauls upto 7000lbs of gravel. The deck is steel frame no light stamped steel its all 1/4 to 5/16 thick I figure the deck weighs 1000-1200lbs with the wood decking.

I'am used to working with post hoists as thats what is on big trucks for me to have a post hoist I loose 10-12 inches behind the cab so that means cut the deck down to 11' to keep the overhang to a minimum.

People have told me that scissor hoists are strong which I'am sceptical about because we had one on a 5 ton dump and it powered out a few times. The hydraulics were PTO that ran off of the transmission so lots of hydraulic pressure.

I want max dump angle the rubbish I haul sticks in the box like glue because its waste wood with nails etc.

So for a 1.5 ton truck how many ton hoist is required for a 12' deck and still give me a decent dump angle ?

What is your brand favorite Rugby,Scott etc ?

I would semi like to know what I need so when I phone around for prices on hoists I don't want to be buying a undersized or grossly oversized hoist I know bigger is better but don't want to be adding unessary weight to the truck.

I will probably run it off of PTO like my previous 450 that had a post hoist but in the mean time I would probably use a 12volt electric pump till I scavenge up the parts for the PTO/Hydraulic.

Any ideas
Old 12-01-2004, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a 7 ton Rugby in a '91 superduty that took a squirt (5 transmissions and finally the engine) and it really worked well. WE could put 6 tons in the box, with the nose loaded heavily and it would still tip the load.
www.naturescapelandscape.com
Old 12-02-2004, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I figure a 7 ton hoist should do it no way I would be putting that much weight on the truck h*ll the gvw on the F-Superduties is only 14,500-15,000lbs

The old F-Superduty trucks pack enough weight for me sure wish Ford made them factory built 4x4s back in 88 when they first built them.

I was looking at the Rugby MFG site and it looks like they have a pretty good hoist.

Anymore suggestions
Old 12-04-2004, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gravel Rat:

I saw your truck today. While taking the F-450 back for yet another transmission problem, they had an 05 F-650 crew cab, 4x4 with a pick up truck body on it. Had a 240HP Cat and an Allison HD565 tranny. It was on it's way to Afganastan. Sticker price...Gulp, $97,000.00. Got to admit it looked alot better than the corn picker monster pick up did!

The only reason I had 6 tons on the 450 was because the loader dumped too much in, so, I had to back upo and drop off a few tons then weighed back up. the lift just popped it right off though!
www.naturescapelandscape.com
Old 12-07-2004, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 8ton Harsh brand scissor hoist on my f350 with an electric pump. It is slow but it will lift anything I throw at it. I have had almost 4 yards of stonedust that flattened the springs and the axle was riding on the bump stops. On my f550 I have a direct push 10.5ton galion which I have not maxxed out yet. This one is a pto. I would not worry about dump angle. As long as you buy a package the manufacturer provides all of the instructions which will show the dump angle and lift specs. As for lift capacity the hoists vary with mounting distance from the dump pivot point. If the hoist is pushed back toward the pivot point for dump angle the lift capacity goes down. If the lift is moved away from the pivot the dump angle goes down but lift capacity goes up.