Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-02-2004, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Leaves.. How do you guys get them up???

Hello guys and pardon my ignorance. As a homeowner I always blew my leaves, very time consuming and a BIG pain in the *#*^@! Anyway as a newbe could you guys tell me how you get them up if you provide fall cleanup? There has to be a better way... or i sure wont make much off cleanup
Old 12-02-2004, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I more powerful blower, and bag them with a mower. Some people tarp them as well
Old 12-02-2004, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We blow the leaves from around the house trees, etc. places the mower cant go and then we mulch them using our Scag Tiger Cubs with mulching kit.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just starting out, like you are, I would try to get a commerecial blower and blow as many as you can and make piles and tarp them to where the leaves are to be put. The key is to have good commerecial equipment to help get the job done.

I would use a good commerecial blower like, lets say a REDMAX eb7000 and a eb 7001. Blow the beds to lawn, and around the house, etc. Then use a commerecial mower, a lazer with ultra vac and make short work of the leaves. We did a job this morning, and we were loading up in 1 1/2 hours. The owner said they worked on it for 8 hours a peice together last year. Thats 16 hrs compared to our 3 hours total and the job looked eXcellent, if I might say. She was really impressed on the quickness of the job and how nice it looked when we were done.

We did another job after that and the ground was too wet to use the mower, so we blew as much to dump area and made piles and tarped them to the street.
She also told us she was amazed that we did the job in 2 hours. Her and her husband took a whole day to do it also. We also gave her a proposal for next year and she signed it on the spot...
Old 12-02-2004, 09:33 PM
Banned

I start in the backyard and use backpacks to get them out of beds and stuff. Then use a Little Wonder push blower to move them towards the front yard.

Eventually the pile gets too big for even the 10hp LW to move them. In the past I use to then rake them onto tarps and drag them to the front yard.
But I recently bought a JRCO leaf plow, so now I use that to push the piles towards the front yard.

Once I have them all in the front yard along the curb, I use a truck loader to suck them up into the leaf box on my truck.
Although there is one town where I just leave them at the curb and the township comes around and sucks them up.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A powerful commercial blower is very important. Saved the most time of any one piece of equipment. I blow leaves out of the flowerbeds and the perimeter of the lawn. Put my Accelerator catcher on my Exmark w/b and procede to mow over the leaves, with one catch, when the catcher gets full I do not empty it, I continue to mow over the leaves until I have reduced there volume approximately 75%. I then dump the catcher and procede bagging what is left. To reduce blowout, I fabricated a homemade anti-blowout baffle and use high-lifts over a flat sand blade to aid in mulching/reducing the volume of leaves.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There is never enough power and I will be upgrading for years to come the giant Vac 80hp 30 yard dump trailer is starting to look real good to me. I have a 16 yard box and it seems to be filled every time I turn around.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kelly's Landscaping,

The giant vac is an awesome machine, hopefully in the future we will have enough high end clients to justify a leaf loader. It would take a lot of clean-ups to justify a giant vac of that size.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2 mexicans can rake some serious leaves!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

2 mexicans,,,,,HAHAHAHAHA,,,,,,man that is funny. But, seriously you are right!
16' Stoll gooseneck dump
16' equipment trailer
1981 Ford LN600 12' dump truck
New Holland 555 skidsteer
Toro Z 252
Mantis, Sthl 61
Brown 9hp bededger/trencher
RedMax 7001
Bunches and Bunches of other tools and toys
Ask Jesus for forgiveness, salvation is eternity!!