Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-02-2000, 03:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the situation, last month at the end of the month i gave a customer a bill for approx 172$<p>She handed me a wad of cash. (little old lady that has never cheated me or questioned my bill before.) When i counted it at the truck before i left i only counted the 72$. I am SURE that is all i had. I figured they had jsut gotten back from vacation and were short. Being a long term customer i paid it no heed thinking she would pay it this month. <p>I sent her the bill and got a call the next day. She says that she paid the full amount. She has asked me to &quot;double check&quot; my books. I am sure that i only counted the 72$. I would hate to lose a long term customer over this because she has been really very wonderful. (And her husband was my fav. english teacher in high school)<p>What should i do? Write it off? Send out Vinny and Guito? Other options?<br>Thanks for the help guys. Have a good day!
Old 08-02-2000, 05:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Write it off. You should always count the money in front of the customer. Hav you ever seen them just stuff your money in the drawer at a store?
Old 08-02-2000, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't really have to deal with this problem. Most of my customers pay with checks. If they pay with cash, I count it before I leave. Never had a mistake like that before. Sorry man, I guess she kinda screwed you out of a hundred bucks.<p>----------<br>Chelan Valley Mowing<br>- - - - Striping the way to success - - - -
Old 08-02-2000, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm gonna go with the majority on this one...you lose...just &quot;rip&quot; her off on some other work
Old 08-02-2000, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you have to ask yourself what's woth more, the $100 or the customer?<p>Being that probably has an obvious answer, I would still inform the customer you did not recieve the other $100, but you're eating it because you value their business.
Old 08-02-2000, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I second Lazers post. Either way you arent going to see the C-note so you might as well look like a hero.<p>Bill
Old 08-02-2000, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Raise your price next year to cover it and then some.<p>I have learned that there are NO POOR WIDOWS that have lawn care.
Old 08-02-2000, 07:50 PM

Add a few dollars on to any extra job she want you to do until you get back that 100$
Old 08-02-2000, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like you need to work on your people skills. If you have a good relationship with this customer then you should be able to explain the situation. You should clearly state to that individual that your not really sure what happened, and that it is even possible that you lost the hundred right there on the job site when you were leaving, like maybe it fell from your pocket. Also don't ask them to replace it, but ask them should they come across it when going through finiances, if they could let you know. If you do this right and with sincerity you might be surprised by the results. Look for their simpathy. if nothing comes of it so be it. but what the heck, they might give you a tip the next time for being so stupid.<p>
Old 08-03-2000, 03:40 PM
bill phagan

Consider a receipt book as well as putting things in writing....eliminates &quot;selective&quot; memories from them and us.<p>Bill Phagan