Register free!

Old 12-04-2004, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some pond pics

Here are a few we did this year.

Last edited by cgland; 06-02-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great looking pictures. Good work.

I have a quick question. When you built the raised pond, how did you go about building it? Did you dig down into the ground alittle? Is there anything between the wall and the liner of the pond?

Thanks
Old 02-16-2005, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jreiff - We dug into the ground about a foot and a half in one spot and two and a half in another (a nice deep area for the fish) Then, heres the secret, we installed a segmental retaining wall w/ batter (8" fillable block). We then installed the underlayment (2 layers thick to accomodate any sharp edges), then we installed the liner. Basically, after we had the pond up and running we then installed the stone wall and sitting ledge.

Chris
Old 02-16-2005, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am doing one at my Dad's house. The waterfall will be on top of a hill, will drop down about 10-15 feet, then go into a pond. Want to have the pond be half in the ground, half above. We want to use boulders for the wall.

Have you ever used boulders for a wall around the pond?
Boulders size: 12-24" roughly

If so, how would you go about building it?

Pretty new to pond building. Not really getting into it business wise, just doing one for my Dad.

Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 02-17-2005, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow, great work! The pics look great.

Chris, I noticed you're from the Reading area. I'm down in Palmyra and I'm thinking about getting into the lawn/landscaping business at some point in the near future. I was wondering, did you have any educational background in landscaping or is your experience strictly from hands-on work? I'd like to eventually do landscaping work, but I don't have much experience or education in it right now. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 02-18-2005, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow CG!

Now THAT is an awsome looking pond! I love the way that turned out. The only question I have is, do you know how the owners are prepping it for winter? For example, are they draining all of those above ground pipes and taking their pumps inside? What else are they doing to prep it for winter? Congrads on a job well done!

Vic
Old 02-18-2005, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jreiff - Boulders will work very well,but you have to make sure of a couple things. A) You can hide the liner B) You stack the boulders very well. There will be a great deal of pressure on the wall, so make sure it is sturdy.

Bull - I have taken a couple of classes, but I also read a ton of books and articles. I also make it a point to befriend other landscapers and try to share ideas. But, non the less, you can't beat hands on experience. trial and error will be your classroom.

Victor - We give all of our pond customers a brochure detailing the off season care of their water feature. The main thing people do besides the winterizing of the plumbing is a netting over the pond to catch debris and maybe a heater or doughnut for the fish.

Thanks for all of the compliments. We take great pride in our work. I am more than happy to answer any questions or hear any praises...LOL!

Chris
Old 02-20-2005, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgland
Bull - I have taken a couple of classes, but I also read a ton of books and articles. I also make it a point to befriend other landscapers and try to share ideas. But, non the less, you can't beat hands on experience. trial and error will be your classroom.

Chris
Can you recommend a few books worth checking out, or good sources for articles? I'm looking to purchase a few now to help me get my feet wet with the whole landscaping thing. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Also, I checked out your website! Very impressive...I like the layout and content of the site!

Thanks...Bull
Old 02-20-2005, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bull - Thanks for the compliments. Basically I have a couple books on stonescaping and stonework and a couple on ponds and water features. Your best bet is to visit your local bookseller (Barnes & Noble, Borders..etc.) or try Amazon.com. That is how i started. Maybe buy a couple of cheaper books, gather any worthwhile info, and graduate to the more expensive books. When I started I bought a bunch of the "Better Homes" and Ortho books. Hope this helps.

Chris
Old 02-21-2005, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgland
Bull - Thanks for the compliments. Basically I have a couple books on stonescaping and stonework and a couple on ponds and water features. Your best bet is to visit your local bookseller (Barnes & Noble, Borders..etc.) or try Amazon.com. That is how i started. Maybe buy a couple of cheaper books, gather any worthwhile info, and graduate to the more expensive books. When I started I bought a bunch of the "Better Homes" and Ortho books. Hope this helps.

Chris
Thanks for the info, Chris! I browsed Amazon last night and found a few stonescaping books that looked interesting. I'll have to place an order soon and start reading up.

I find myself having a ton of other novice questions related to the lawn maintenance/landscaping business...being that I'm just starting to put together thoughts of a business. Most aren't related to ponds or stonescaping though so I don't think they belong in this thread. Unfortunately, I'm not able to PM right now either so, for now the search function is providing me with most of the answers I need!

Thanks again for your help!

Bull