Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2004, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Moving buisness down south.

Hey , Ive got my bizz here in MI up for sale. We are moving to Houston were I grew up and most my family lives. So far all I can see is positives for the bizz in houston. can anyone shoot me some negatives to lawn care in Texas.
Ill be giving up a established bit of bizz to start all over. From what Ive seen lawn care seems a lot more laid back. Here it seems like the seasons are constantly changing and your always changing over equipment and chasing down new work for each season. And the amount of euipment that I have to have up here is crazy. Plows,v-boxes, leaf loaders, push blowers, 4x4 trucks. It is very stressfull being a solo owner of a 3truck 3trailer outfit and trying to do everything.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

there is alot more copetition in the south for just that reason
Old 12-07-2004, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I moved from Michigan to Florida after I retired from GM a few years ago. I did lawn care in Michigan for many years on a part-time basis during the summer and learned a great deal about lawn and landscape work. When I moved here I started a lawn care business and it has grown very rapidly over a two year period. I have more work than I can handle and I turn down a lot of work. I'm doing 60+ lawns a week solo plus hedges, shrubs, mulch...you name it...it's here for the taking.

One thing about the south though, the pricing is lower than in the north. A lawn that would bring $30-$35 per cut in Michigan will fetch $20-$22 here in Florida. Lots of work, but plenty of competition. There are a lot of retired folks in the south and they don't like to spend a lot on lawn care.

If you do good quality work at a competitive price you can make a decent living, but you won't get rich.

Texas is probably about the same as Florida as far as wages and pricing are concerned. Both are right to work states and that tends to hold down wages and prices.

One last thing...it gets hot as he// here in the summer, so I hope you like warm weather.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The grass grows 365 days a year in Houston. Good choice. I know a great dealer 150 miles NW of there, he's a heck of guy! Buy a lot of sun screen!
Old 12-07-2004, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Some negatives i can think of are its HOT!!! Its real hot in the summer and humid. I live a few hours south from houston and it gets real bad.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly Green 1
Hey , Ive got my bizz here in MI up for sale. We are moving to Houston were I grew up and most my family lives. So far all I can see is positives for the bizz in houston. can anyone shoot me some negatives to lawn care in Texas.
Ill be giving up a established bit of bizz to start all over. From what Ive seen lawn care seems a lot more laid back. Here it seems like the seasons are constantly changing and your always changing over equipment and chasing down new work for each season. And the amount of euipment that I have to have up here is crazy. Plows,v-boxes, leaf loaders, push blowers, 4x4 trucks. It is very stressfull being a solo owner of a 3truck 3trailer outfit and trying to do everything.
Houston is the main destination for coyotes that haul wetbacks into the states, so wages are cheap, & many numbers of mexicans are solo. Recently, we had a new customer moving from Houston to Dallas that was getting his lawn mowed for $15.
MJ
Old 12-08-2004, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Heavenly Green 1, is your business up for sale now? and if so where is it being advertised? I would be interested in purchase if possible...

Contact me via PM or camlandservices@yahoo.com
Old 12-10-2004, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I grew up in Bellaire, TX so I know the heat. And let me tell ya after 8yrs in MI winters Ill take the heat anyday. Not seeing the sun 5mo out of the year kills me. Plus my wife has had several job offers in Houston apparently dental Hygienist are in demand there. Shes been looking for a yr. here and cant find anything offering more than 16hrs per wk. And they start pay at $30per hr. there here she gets 28.00 and no hrs. And for the same money I pay on my shack here I can go from 750sq. ft. to 3000sq.ft. and much newer. So the plan is sell our house sell my company and go wifey will start job 55,000pryr and Ill have no debt and 20,000. to buy a truck and enough equipment to get started how can I lose I came to MI an 18yr old without a clue. I didnt know anybody but I started with 2 push mowers and a hand full of flyers and 8yrs later Ive established a decent size company that is really just starting to take off . Just with the winter contracts that weve gotten this yr if we salt all the lots 30 times we will make $30,000 profit Then you got walkway salt and removal so ya its exciting My company hasnt had this before. last winter I only did 5,000 in salt and about 4000 in plowing. So ya what Ive seen in TX must be good for me to give up what Ive already devoted endless amounts of time building. Hey if heat and competition is all you got sign me up. I fear no competition. Im confident in my work and people skills.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMowIt
Houston is the main destination for coyotes that haul wetbacks into the states, so wages are cheap, & many numbers of mexicans are solo. Recently, we had a new customer moving from Houston to Dallas that was getting his lawn mowed for $15.
MJ

AZ is like that as well, also right to work. Take any street and you'll see several LCO's on a given day. Local 7-11 is clogged with LCO trucks and trailers all the time. Every couple of weeks though the crews are different and the trucks and trailers are different. Lots of competition.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do good quality work at a competitive price you can make a decent living, but you won't get rich.

Texas is probably about the same as Florida as far as wages and pricing are concerned. Both are right to work states and that tends to hold down wages and prices.

One last thing...it gets hot as he// here in the summer, so I hope you like warm weather.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with what Dennis F just said about south, FL and TX. You can make a decent living but you won't be rich. Look away, those several million dollar houses that you are servicing! You have to be a famous doctor or some sports celeb to be rich and live on lakefront, million dollars houses, and million dollars bank accounts. Good luck.