Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-08-2004, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting parts together for the late spring and summer

I am getting parts together for this coming mowing season and I need some suggestions on what to try to find.

I'm getting ready to go on Christmas Break from school next week and I'm gonna be out for a month, so I'm trying to get things together for the spring and summer as far as mower parts are concerned.

I need some suggestions as to what kinds of machines to look for that are common for things to go bad on. I am going to hit the backlots of all the dealers around here, because they usually just abandon the dead machines back there. I know of where a diesel F-725 JD is that caught on fire that I could get cheap if not free. They say its been picked over, but I think I could rebuild the engine on it and use it in something else if its not too far gone. I also patrol the local dumps for such machines.

I am stocking up on starters, pulleys, carburetors and other common items from what I know right now.

But anyway, what brands of machines do I need to look for and what parts off those machines should I pull and clean up for sale?

Thanks for any help. This is the first year I will be getting into commercial machines. I still will have residential machines as well too.

2004 Ford F-250 XL RC/LB 4x2 Power Stroke Diesel
2010 John Deere Z710A 48" cut
1999 John Deere GT-235/54" deck
1985 John Deere 212 w/38" deck
1983 John Deere 420 w/54" hydraulic front blade
1974 John Deere 140, 54" hydraulic blade, 3pt. hitch, tandem disc, plow, 48" deck
1971 John Deere 112, 38" deck, all original, down for engine rebuild.
1967 IH Cub Cadet 124 w/creeper box, disc, plow
1947 Economy/Power King Tractor S/N 590, fully restored.

Certified John Deere Technician
Old 12-08-2004, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Spindles and idler pulleys. They are very popular items to be replaced on commercial mowers.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

getting parts together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalltimer1
I am getting parts together for this coming mowing season and I need some suggestions on what to try to find.

I'm getting ready to go on Christmas Break from school next week and I'm gonna be out for a month, so I'm trying to get things together for the spring and summer as far as mower parts are concerned.

I need some suggestions as to what kinds of machines to look for that are common for things to go bad on. I am going to hit the backlots of all the dealers around here, because they usually just abandon the dead machines back there. I know of where a diesel F-725 JD is that caught on fire that I could get cheap if not free. They say its been picked over, but I think I could rebuild the engine on it and use it in something else if its not too far gone. I also patrol the local dumps for such machines.

I am stocking up on starters, pulleys, carburetors and other common items from what I know right now.

But anyway, what brands of machines do I need to look for and what parts off those machines should I pull and clean up for sale?

Thanks for any help. This is the first year I will be getting into commercial machines. I still will have residential machines as well too.
In your travels and adventures, keep an eye out for that stander that needs some work, the one I am looking for and the one that you are going to sell to me. I am in Florida for the winter, and will stop by on my drive North in March to pick it up. Let me know when you trip over it...and, thanks a lot.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I've got a Woods 1850 with a D5218 deck in good shape. New seat, clutch, battery and overhaul about 100hrs. old. TT~1990hrs. No smoke, runs and drives nice.

Email if you're in the area. (South Texas)

Forgot to mention:
It HAD a nice surry top until I ran it under a Mesquite tree.

Last edited by CCWKen; 12-09-2004 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

getting parts together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWKen
I've got a Woods 1850 with a D5218 deck in good shape. New seat, clutch, battery and overhaul about 100hrs. old. TT~1990hrs. No smoke, runs and drives nice.

Email if you're in the area. (South Texas)

Forgot to mention:
It HAD a nice surry top until I ran it under a Mesquite tree.
Hey, CCWKen, thanks for the offer and thinking of me...but...I'm in Florida for the winter, and returning to the Northeast in late March. I don't really plan on going to Texas anytime real soon, and I think that shipping could get a little ugly on the mower. Thanks again, though. JIM.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim dailey
In your travels and adventures, keep an eye out for that stander that needs some work, the one I am looking for and the one that you are going to sell to me. I am in Florida for the winter, and will stop by on my drive North in March to pick it up. Let me know when you trip over it...and, thanks a lot.
I'll keep my ears and eyes open for one for you. I can roam through one dealer's lot at my will and the others will let me browse for a little bit at a time. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

2004 Ford F-250 XL RC/LB 4x2 Power Stroke Diesel
2010 John Deere Z710A 48" cut
1999 John Deere GT-235/54" deck
1985 John Deere 212 w/38" deck
1983 John Deere 420 w/54" hydraulic front blade
1974 John Deere 140, 54" hydraulic blade, 3pt. hitch, tandem disc, plow, 48" deck
1971 John Deere 112, 38" deck, all original, down for engine rebuild.
1967 IH Cub Cadet 124 w/creeper box, disc, plow
1947 Economy/Power King Tractor S/N 590, fully restored.

Certified John Deere Technician