Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-08-2004, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

toro 44" ztr / 17 hp kawasaki problems

hi, I have a toro 44" z-master with about 625 hours on it. It has the fh500v kawasaki 17hp motor. Lately it has started cutting out and almost dying, as though it's running out of gas while I mow, then it will slowly start going back up to speed again. I'm not cutting anything thick or overgrown.
I have put on new spark plugs and thoroughly cleaned the engine fins, drained both tanks and the carb. put in fresh clean gas, new fuel filter. Air filter looks clean. changed oil. sprayed carb cleaner into the carb throat while it's running.
None of this has cured the problem, what are some other things I could check or do. And this may sound dumb but how do you check for spark? I'd like to fix the mower myself if possible, as I have time and tools but not a lot of money. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks
Old 12-08-2004, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How old is it? Is it still under warranty?

If you know how you should take the carb off and take it apart and clean it. If not then you should take it to the dealer. Carb problems is what it sounds like to me. I have heard of Kawasaki having some ignition module problems so if it still does it after the carb has beem cleaned then that could also be a possubility. You can check the spark using a in line spark tester that you can order from a dealer or you can probibly go to an auto parts store and find one.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, you might want to be sure plenty of fuel is reaching the carb. Check fuel filter/pump.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the replies.

I've had the mower almost three years, it's a 2002 model and it's no longer under warranty. I did check for spark, both plugs do spark but it looks weak. The spark on one side is yellow and weak looking, the other side is a little better. The plugs are dry and light grey, they look good.

How do I check for enough fuel reaching the carb?

the gas is fresh.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thats a tough problem. It could be caused from the ignition module not working correctly to the fuel pump or dirt in the carb or even the govenor. How often will it do this in say a 30 minute or 1 hour time period? Does it do it constantly or just sometimes?
Old 12-12-2004, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Member

success! yesterday I removed the carb and went through it with a can of carb cleaner and the air compressor. I used the parts catalogs exploded view of the carb to locate the jets, valves, nozzles, etc. Found suspicious dirt in a few places, and cleaned it out. Then I put it all back together and voila, it ran perfect! It performed like new, no hesitation, surging, or dieing. I guess since it's running well, the ignition modules are probably good for now. Thanks again for the replies!
Old 12-12-2004, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Glad you got it running.