Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-07-2004, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Creative idea...will it work?

Alright, here is my idea to get more work in our target area next year:
Go door to door in one of our target development (about 90 homes). Tell them there is a special offer for their area. FREE MOWING if you schedule it on April 15 (for example). We fill up our schedule for April 15 with free mowings. Only catch is you need to listen to our 5 minute sales pitch (we introduce ourselves and our business, show them pictures, etc.). On April 15, we mow like crazy, will be able to do 30-40 if they are all in the same development. Ideally, a decent percentage of people will see what awesome work we do and ask us to continue. If we don't get too many jobs from it, at worst, we will still generate alot of talk (the whole neighborhood will be talking about us), and it will only be one day's work. What do you think? Will it work?
Old 12-07-2004, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think thats a great idea, however, not to be mean, I doubt it'd work...

I had about 15,000 flyers sent out, and they all said if they respond by a certain date they get the 3rd week cut for free.

know how many calls I got? NONE, 2 pranks and that was it! OH ya, it costed me about $600!!!

However, it may be different for different areas, again timeing is a key issue too!

Good Luck man, it certainly cant hurt any!!!

Last edited by RedWingsDet; 12-07-2004 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Give it a shot. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know. I have a general aversion to giving away my labor. Seems like you are about to break one of the sacred ,though unwritten, lawncare commandments. " Thou shalt not work for free". This seems like a despiration move to me, likely to be picked up on by your prospective customers, and used against you in negotiations. You are likely to do a lot of free mowing with very little return on your investment.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
I dont know. I have a general aversion to giving away my labor. Seems like you are about to break one of the sacred ,though unwritten, lawncare commandments. " Thou shalt not work for free". This seems like a despiration move to me, likely to be picked up on by your prospective customers, and used against you in negotiations. You are likely to do a lot of free mowing with very little return on your investment.
he wont be working for free as long as he raises his other cut prices up a few bucks to make up for that one day of work...

for instance, say he cuts the 3rd week free. Say his average cuts are like $25, well he shoulda make his average price for that piticular lawn that hes cutting for free on the 3rd week like $28 or $29 or hell even $30. That way he will make up for it in the long run and have a few more clients!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know, it is difficult to think about giving away work for free...

However, I think this puts our most sellable quality in front of everyone to see: our great work! Another thing: people judge us since we're teenagers and assume we don't run a professional business. If they could see our work and our presentation, they would see us for what we really are: a professional, legitimate business.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I say do it, you never know unless you try! If anything you'll learn not to ever work for free or for cheap!
Old 12-07-2004, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierLandscaping
I think thats a great idea, however, not to be mean, I doubt it'd work...

I had about 15,000 flyers sent out, and they all said if they respond by a certain date they get the 3rd week cut for free.

know how many calls I got? NONE, 2 pranks and that was it! OH ya, it costed me about $600!!!

However, it may be different for different areas, again timeing is a key issue too!

Good Luck man, it certainly cant hurt any!!!

What time of year did you place these flyers out there and when is the start of the mowing season in MI ?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Try it . I know it works . I have 2 crews in one neighborhood for 4 days a week because of that same idea . Been doing it for about 6 years. All of our customers are all on yearly contracts.
Goose
Old 12-07-2004, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i'd view it as not really giving your work away for free, but simply view it as utilizing some of your marketing budget to cover the expense. no different than colgate giving away free tubes of toothpaste. the manufacturing division does not eat the cost, some internal group or another covers it out of a marketing pot of money. people will either take it and enjoy it for what it was worth, just a free tube o' toothpaste, and ultimately will stick with their brand of choice. another part of the population will be glad they were introduced to the product and become regular buyers. it's the definition of marketing at it's very core.

i'd be all for it and think it's an idea worth proving or disproving. just be sure everyone looks the part of a quality lco professional and you'll be ahead of the game.

tony