Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-08-2004, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's Better?

I'm just starting out. I live near Minneapolis Minnesota and have narrowed down my choices for buying equipment. I am debating on wether to go with a eXmark Laser Z (27hp Kohler), Toro Z (27hp Kohler) or Kubota Diesel. Which brand do you guys think is the better value??

I also am thinking pretty seriously about going with STIHL brand blowers and trimmers.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

how many, and what kind of accounts do you have?
Old 12-08-2004, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just looked and the exmark has a diahatsu. Don't know anything about their small engines. Kubota and Yanmar make good small diesels. If you decide to go with diesel I'd look at the Kubota. Gas engine, probably the exmark with a Kawi.

Last edited by out4now; 12-08-2004 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

jtrice11,
Since you are asking which of the three is a better value, we would need to know the prices of each. If the three are your only choices, I would go with the kubota. Plus include the answer to the question posted by Mo Green.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have 1 commercial account that is 50 townhouses, a property developer with 4 small office buildings, and a small handful (less than 5) residential accounts. We plan to get as many additional accounts as possible.

The toro guy tells me the toro is a better unit than the eXmark, and he has one that is 800 dollars cheaper. The Kubota is about 2 grand more than both.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Well sure the toro guy is going to "talk up" his product, he needs to make money just like everybody else.If you talk to an exmark guy he would do the same for his product,and so on. There is a reason mowers cost more or less than the competition, it is quality. Just remember you get what you pay for. Good Luck
Old 12-08-2004, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=JCW-G]jtrice11,
Since you are asking which of the three is a better value, we would need to know the prices of each.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

we have used kubota for 18 of our 27 years, new ZD is by far the best. it is more money but fuel is better and they also have a new stripping kit for them.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

what kind of deck is on the toro? if it's the SFS, RUN!!! I've seen people in the shop MANY times. in places where there is one weld there should have been two. overall the sfs is, in my opinion, fabricated cheaply. I do not have any experience with the turbo force deck, but, I've heard good things about it.

If I were you I would go with eXmark.

A student taking a philosophy class had a single question on his final: "What is courage?" The student wrote: "This", signed it, and turned it in.

in Iraq, ever since the beginning of time, men have fought for, land, power, money, and greed. but what are we fighting for? .... we are fighting for something new, we are fighting, because it is the right thing to do.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Toro has a turbo force deck on it. I was pretty surprised by the differences the Toro guy showed me in this 2 inch thick book he had. It was diagrams of comparisons between the eXmark and the toro on virtually the same model. The Z and the Toro Z force--The gussets, welds, the gauge of steel used, wheels, bearing housings etc...were all superior on the toro. Also the Toro had twin tanks with one fuel feed, the eXmark had 2 tanks with seperate feeds, needed to be changed via a petcock. I know, a super minor detail but the Toro did appear to be superior. But I've read alot about eXmark and they seem to be popular and reliable. The eXmark dealer has a deal where if your mower goes down, they give you one while yours is being serviced. A nice option to have.