Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2004, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag tri wheel

Does anyone have an opinion on the scag tri wheel mower? I am on a low budget and have an oppurtunity to buy one for cheap. The guy says it runs good but I haven't seen it yet. Just wanted know if anybody knows how they perform.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

By tri-wheel I assume you mean the Cougar model? In previous threads most guys didn't seem to think that highly of it.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think he means the old HTSM model, or whatever it's called. The one with the tailwheel under the seat. Back in the late eighties, these were popular machines. Other manufacturers had the sam type models. Gravely changed their old Promaster to this type, Ransomes had one (very crude), Ferris came out with one (the early ones had a gear transmission - no hydro), Exmark had their Turf Tracer, and of course, there was Yazoo, who had it long before any of these mnufacturers did. I demoed the Scag way back in the late eighties, and while it was productive, it was very crude in the it's design and use. It had the old crank and cable to raise and lower the deck, for instance. I DID purchase the Gravely Promaster H300 in 1993, and still have that machine. The design of this type of mower certainly has it's applications, but it has it's limitations, too.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had 4 of them in total over the years (all from Ferris). First I had 2, 61" models and then traded them in for 2, 72" models. BTW, Ferris still makes the 61" types, but discontinued the 72's.

When I had them, I thought they were great. They were nice to have when mowing under trees and bushes. Only downfall I can remember to them was they took up a lot of room on the trailer (cause of their length) and if the rear tire under your seat hit a bump or hole, you felt the impact come up through the seat and right up through your back.

The yoke steering (like a airplane has) was kind of novel too.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I look at that kind of mower from time to time and wonder what it does well. Rod, your comment about the footprint was always one thing I figured could be a headache. My guess is that on the small and medium-sized lawns I'm doing, this kind of mower would not be much help. That's why my next mower will be a 48/17 or something like that.

Still, on some jobs, that kind of machine might have its place.

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

the size of the tri wheel is to big for a trailer,if you had a big wide open area then go for it.It is like rodfather has said about the no suspension seat that thing will kill you buy the mower and put a stand up sulky on it.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pic of an old Yazoo. These 2 were sold this year for $2000 and $2500. They are 1960's models if I remember correctly. Bought by someone to put back to work believe it or not.

A big cemetary here has 2 or 3 of the Scags they use to mow every week. Probably close to 150-200 acres. I see them cruising every week on them. They are not fast, but they are effective.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2004, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

One other thing that I remember about them is that they are very good at holding a slope...much better than ANY zero turn I have seen or used. You do have to watch making a sharp turn when the ground is wet and/or soft...that rear tire will slide and you can really tear up some turf. And like I said, their length limits the number of these babies that you are gonna fit on a trailer (not like 3 WB's or Z's) for sure.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I've got one. It's a 2000 with a 22 hp Kohler and a 61" deck. Before I got it it used to take me around 4 hrs to do my lawn now it take just under an hour. It is pretty big and it gives a great cut, nice stripe too. One thing you need to look out for is making a turn by a tree. The first time I used it I almost whipped myself sideways into a tree. I can turn around at the end of a pass just like a z turn but I don't know if these are really classified a a zero turn.

Another plus with the deck out-front it has cut down on my trimming because you can put the deck under trees and in places you can't fit an under mount deck.

I am happy with it so far.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag Sthm

I have a 99 Scag, it has 1100 hrs. works well. Mine was

in Turf North April 03. It has a thicker seat, also took a leaf

out of seat suspension to soften ride. I put on an Enginaire

pre cleaner, a larger muffler, left baffle from Husq rider, and

a Scag turbo baffle. I like the winch, if you get stuck raise

the deck to change weight. I put a 52 wb in right front of trailer, back Scag on to nest w 52wb. plenty of room

on 6x12.Ed