Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2004, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we'll keep you in mind for future work

I get a call to estimate a job from a referral. I ask if you're getting other bids cause I'm not out to waste my time to be "shopped". I told him I wasn't the cheapest and I'm not the most expensive either. I also told him that I would come in around maybe $500 difference between anybody else, and this could be negotiable. He says, "well one guy stopped by and gave me a quote, but let's see how the numbers work out." I explained about the machines I have that the other guy doesn't. (explaining quality here) So anyway, I spend almost 3 hours in the cold going over this job. I come home and figure it up and call him with my $19,000.00 price. He says, "I'll go over my #'s and get back with you." I get the call back about a week later and he says, "I got 3 bids, and you and this one guy both came highly recomended and he was about $500 cheaper, so I decided to go with the cheaper one. But thank you and I will definately keep you in mind for future work." I said O.k. and thanks for the call. And he said thank you go "click" od bye. I hung up on him. I know this "other guy" and I know I am well worth the $500 extra.

This guy doesn't know I offer free estimates, should I send him an invoice for $150.00 and see what happens?? What a dink!
Old 12-09-2004, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryPaulD
I get a call to estimate a job from a referral. I ask if you're getting other bids cause I'm not out to waste my time to be "shopped". I told him I wasn't the cheapest and I'm not the most expensive either. I also told him that I would come in around maybe $500 difference between anybody else, and this could be negotiable. He says, "well one guy stopped by and gave me a quote, but let's see how the numbers work out." I explained about the machines I have that the other guy doesn't. (explaining quality here) So anyway, I spend almost 3 hours in the cold going over this job. I come home and figure it up and call him with my $19,000.00 price. He says, "I'll go over my #'s and get back with you." I get the call back about a week later and he says, "I got 3 bids, and you and this one guy both came highly recomended and he was about $500 cheaper, so I decided to go with the cheaper one. But thank you and I will definately keep you in mind for future work." I said O.k. and thanks for the call. And he said thank you go "click" od bye. I hung up on him. I know this "other guy" and I know I am well worth the $500 extra.

This guy doesn't know I offer free estimates, should I send him an invoice for $150.00 and see what happens?? What a dink!

If he made up his mind over $500 on a 19,000 job do you think you'll get $150 for an estimate?
Old 12-09-2004, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know? But I'm so pi$$ed about that deal I should do it and see what happens? I'll prolly get a call from him about it, and then I can let him have it?
Old 12-09-2004, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you want to do a stupid thing like that. First rule of business, don't take it personal. The smart thing to do would be to put this guy on your mailing list and continue to work him.

Mueller Landscape Inc.
jmlandscp@cox.net
Old 12-09-2004, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
"Why would you want to do a stupid thing like that. First rule of business, don't take it personal. The smart thing to do would be to put this guy on your mailing list and continue to work him."

I agree totally!
Old 12-09-2004, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know, cause I was up front and honest about everything. And right on the money with everything, did everything I could to sell the job so there was no escape. And still shot down..........to worse quality at that.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sore loser, no dont be one thats close bidding.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Like someone else said, don't take it personally. Some people will not inform you at all. I'd be happy that he let you know so soon so you can close it out and move on.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh, I'm moving on, but what a friggin' stinger.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You would feel pretty silly if you pissed this guy off and then the other guy screwed up on the job. Do you think he would call you back. Walk but call him every couple of weeks and see how things are going. He might refer someone else to you. I hate to burn bridges. You have already spent the time on the estimate give it some time you might still get it, especially if you are better than the other guy.