Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2004, 04:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Need help with trans, pumps repairs.

I'm looking at a used Exmark, with a 60 in deck, but it has a bad trans. My question is how and if it can be fixed or where can I find another one for a good price?

Also found a used Woods, but it has bad hydro-pumps, I have the same questions, can and how can it be fixed, or where can I get new ones?

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The pumps can either be rebuilt or replaced. I'm not really sure if you can rebuild the wheel motors. If not, they would have to be replaced if they are bad.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The pumps and wheel motors plus installation could reach $2000.00.

Could you post a bit more info about the unit such as hours and condition of deck and engine. How about a few pics too.

Oldtimer
Old 12-11-2004, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

I have replaced many pumps this past season, New pumps run about $350 and wheel motors run about $400........ They both can be rebuilt, but IMHO replacing them is the best and easiest way to go..... Keep an eye on the accuators that make the handles hard to push forward and back, they are worn out when you can push the handles efforlessly forward, and if they do that you are instantly sending 3000 psi to your wheel motor...your wheel motor fails sending debris to the pump causing the pump to fail......thats a $1500 job to fix.......the accuators cost $25 each with a half hour of labor.......they should be replaced as soon as they start to go bad........
Old 12-11-2004, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tech man, What do you mean by accuators? Are you talking about those little gas filled dampenors on each lever because we have a JD F-620 z trac abd the levers can be moved effortlesseley forward and reverse abd don't know if thats how its supposed to be or if the dampenors are bad.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dampeners

If the motion control dampers are bad the motion control levers will move effortlessly. A quick control lever movement could cause a pressure spike as high as 5000 PSI causing the drive link in a wheel motor to fail.

The latest part number for the dampers is 103-4079.

If there is any difference in resistance between the motion control levers the first thing to check is the dampers. They are considered a wear item just like belts and rarely fail at the same time.

Oldtimer
Old 12-11-2004, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Followell
Tech man, What do you mean by accuators? Are you talking about those little gas filled dampenors on each lever because we have a JD F-620 z trac abd the levers can be moved effortlesseley forward and reverse abd don't know if thats how its supposed to be or if the dampenors are bad.
Yeah,if you can move them effortlessly replace them ASAP..........
Old 12-13-2004, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you would not believe how many of the lco's around here who say that is to much and dont do the repair.then when a pump blows it's all the mowers
fault.
anyway i will have 3 60" 25 hp mowers to rebuild the hydro systems on this winter. at least i sold those guys a new mower. remember guys always replace those dampners unless you have a dixie chopper. but even dixie chopper has come out with a new valve to bypass some of the shock spikes
Old 12-13-2004, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Those folks are good for business. The very source of their livelihood and it gets minimal attention us universal. There is nothing a dealer can do to get the LCO's to perform maintenance by the book, they would rather let it break.

The U.S. Lawns franchise we service runs 4 eXmark Z's with a guaranteed loaner for any problem we can't repair with in a couple of hours. They are also required to pay for their scheduled maintenance, in cash, when they lease their equipment. They rarely have a any down time and the only time they need a loaner is if our shop is backed up when they bring the mowers in for scheduled maintenance. Their lease is for 25 months and the mowers usually only need a cleaning and basic service prior to selling with 1000 or more hours on them.

Oldtimer