Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-10-2004, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Been kickin' around an idea.

I have a farm where there are lots of 4-8' cedar trees. They used to use cedar trees all the time in the south for their Christmas trees. Since i have hundreds of these that I would like to get rid of i thought that next year i would run an ad and put out signs for "Old Fashion Christmas Trees" U pic We Cut Your choice of size $15.00.
Anybody think it might fly?
Old 12-10-2004, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Might just work. How much are they selling for at the stores? $15 sounds too cheap. I'd say $20 but you'd have to keep your prices competitive.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have a man in our town that goes out on peoples farms and cuts cedar trees to sell for Christmas trees. Seems to do pretty good because he has done that for several years. I used to work at a nursery years ago that sold Christmas trees and one of the jobs that I had was to shape the trees a year before the Christmas that they were to be sold. If you have some trees that are not too good looking you can kind of shape them but give them time to grow out before you sell them.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Followell
Might just work. How much are they selling for at the stores? $15 sounds too cheap. I'd say $20 but you'd have to keep your prices competitive.
I don't know Travis. you do not see them much, but I have done a web search and some people do sell them . Since I would not have to lease space or guard over the trees I think 15.00 to get people to come out is reasonable. And if I could do that , after the first year if successful i would buy some spuce seedlings to plant for some variety.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For about $35.00 here in central MO you pick your tree, cut it yourself, they shake it and wrap it, then you can go in this little cottage and buy hot apple cider and hot chocolate as well as handmade ornaments and Christmas crafts. There are about 3 similar places here in my town, pop. of about 75,000. I am always telling my wife I would like to have one of these in about 10 years or so, for some extra winter income as well as the fun I think it would be. As far as the cedars, we always had cedars when I was a kid and my wife would have one now if it wasn't for being scared she might damage the carpet in "her new house". I think I sounds like a great idea!
Old 12-10-2004, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

cedar log furniture. We had a tornado at our property some years back and it downed a crapload of these things in the "cedar swamp". A guy actually paid us to come in and clean them out. He cut them into 6-8 foot lengths and then hauled them off and made money selling them to the cedar furniture maker guy.