Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2004, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Hydro seeding?

I went to the turfgrass show in New York last month and i signed up for a free dvd from Turbo turf hydro seeders. I'm a little interested to know how much money is in it? It seems like a good addition to the business and wuld like to do it. Anybody have any thoughts? I'm looking at the 300gallon model which can seed 4,000 sq/ft in one load. They say you can get about 215$ profit a load. Is this a competive price? I figure that a new lawn is about 10,000 sq/ft and if i were to get jus 20 new lawns done, A possible $20,000 could be made. Is 20 an easy amount ot get? How big of a demand is there?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's good idea. I think it works faster than regular seeding. New construction homes definately the target area. people want grass now. My 2 cents, so bash away.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

they want around $3000. per acre around here for Hydroseeding.....that include rock hounding

Derek

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 12-10-2004, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

It's been a good profit center for us. Hook up with a couple home builders or just look for business like you otherwise do. Hydroseeding does offer a good alternative to sod with a nice look to it when you are finished and if it's done right.

I don't like the idea of quoting a certain amount of profit "per load". Depending on the job size and how much dirt work we do, we get $.08 to $.14 per foot. Straw jobs will be cheaper and sod obviuosly more money

Do buy good equipment and good materials. Purchase a hydroseeder with machanical agitation not jet agitation. The latter requires entirely too much water and you can only shoot paper mulch.

Use wood mulch, like Conwed 1000 or 2000 and add a tackifier to get a better finished look.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I use to do this for a company years ago and there is BIG money in it. The owner was in with some builders and that really made a difference. Once a new housing edition opened up, we did ALL the common grounds. We spent over 4 years in that housing addition. With all the common grounds hydroseeding came all the landscaping. With that we got a large majority of the residents hydroseeding and landscaping. The orginal roots of the company were in excavation and expanded out. So we started with digging the basements, then the rough and finish grade work, landscaping and then the hydroseeding. About the only thing we did not do was the sprinkler systems. There is a lot of money in hydroseeding....you just need to find the work. I have not got any request for this service personally.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 12-10-2004, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first
Hook up with a couple home builders ... we get $.08 to $.14 per foot..... Purchase a hydroseeder with machanical agitation not jet agitation....Use wood mulch, and add a tackifier to get a better finished look.
All good advice there....We charged around .14 per sq ft. I am not sure of the size of the tank we used, but I know it could do more than 4,000 sq ft. I would probably get one at least twice that size. We also put in two large coffee cans of straight urea. He (the owner of the business) claimed that made a big difference. We also used a rye blend with fescue. This allowed the owner to see fast results.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci