Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2004, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

how do we report illegal lawn care operators

i honestly am trying to find out how to and to whom do we report illegal lawn care operators. basically, the people whom have jobs and insurance,health,vacations,holiday's decent mones,retirement etc etc. getting stopped to many times and questioned and then seeing the same type of "professional" cutting grass and pockiting the rewards has gotten to me. why do we need commercal plates and others do not , pay taxes,insurance,health,retirement, etc etc. i am a legal business in this for at least 25yrs and cannot believe how many people are illegal but complain about the hard working hispanics/and the kids trying to help the neighbor. lots of questions but we are in this together hank III i also own a small janitorial business that gets me through the year hank III
Old 12-11-2004, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

hank--I don't know the answer to your question and I am not in NEW JERKEY either.

but if I were there, I'd make a deal with you.

I'd say you be the janitor and I'd be the lawn boy. surely there is room enough for both of us!

GEO
Old 12-11-2004, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i wouldn't do it.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:25 AM
Banned

Oh come on......
You NEVER EVER, even once jammed some cash in your pocket for cutting some lawn and forgot to add it to your records?
Old 12-11-2004, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can start off by minding your own business, instead of putting other people out of business.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I am one of the people who has a job with health insurance, paid vacation, holidays and retirement ( fire dept ), but I am a totally legal lawn boy. I have a business license, liability insurance and good equiptment. I have a lot of toys and I don't mind working hard to pay for them. There are 25 firefighters in my dept. that are lawn boys on their days off. One of them is making $5000. a month solo. I don't want to work that hard. I'll bet that 90% of the people on this site do something else along with their yard work. I think you said that you had a janitorial service also.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The only time I turn people in is if they cost me a job. If I lose a job to someone who does not pay taxes, then they are taking food off my table and I'll turn them in in a heart beat. If they stay away from me and my jobs, I don't waste my time on 'em.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Contact the IRS to start with. I too get tired of these guys underbidding us because they dont pay insurance, taxes and licenses. And Lawnboy89, he is minding his own business. Doing his part to prevent the cheaters from taking his business is a smart thing to do in todays business world, get a clue
Old 12-11-2004, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

call 911

actually the reporting of illegal activitys no matter what industry,,,,,seems to be a good nieghborly thing to do!
Old 12-11-2004, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Code enforcement doesn't work on weekends n usually not after 4pm during the regular work week .... so they are only out M-F like 8-4 when the normal LCO is usually out .....many of the part timers have a reg job n cut grass later in the day or on weekends

As far as "calling" someone that's not for me ..... the only time I was tempted to do this was when I say what must have been a 12 year old on a sulky behind a 54" pistol grip .... arms way up in air n "Dad" weed eating .... I stopped to let him know that didn't look safe n he told me to mind my business .... so I did n moved on ... hope that kids still alive

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com