Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-14-2004, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check your trailers

now I don't have all the facts as of yet:

The gas station that I always go to was very lucky today. A local LCO was hauling a trailer and the trailer detatched from the vehicle slamming into the front of the gas station totaling the front of the store to the point where the the front frame was pushed inside knocking things around and you couldn't enter the gas station because the door was lodged shut.

The lady inside ended up going to the hospital with a possible ear problem due to the noise of the impact.

I will try to post some pics tomorrow and update you on the situation.

Make sure to check your trailers
Old 12-14-2004, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What a way to learn a lesson. I haul my tractor around all over the place and Im always checking the coupler. So far nothing like that has happend to me (knock on wood)
Old 12-14-2004, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I've just started hauling a tractor around on a trailer for the first time in my life, and the little bump and jolt that the pintle hook gives the vehicle when I accelerate or brake scares the daylights out of me
Old 12-14-2004, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiedeman

The lady inside ended up going to the hospital with a possible ear problem due to the noise of the impact.

?????????????????????????????? sounds like she is looking for a payday.....

I check the hitch everytime I get out of the truck.. I even lock the coupler so it cant come off unless something seriously goes wrong

What happend to his safety chains???? what happen to the emergency brake switch.. sounds like a lot of things went wrong to allow that to happen...
Old 12-14-2004, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

na, I know the people that own it. She was crying her eyes out and I thought that she was going to go into shock. Heck, she was only about 5 to 7ft away from where it crashed in at. She was very lucky.

I talked to the owner (her husband) and her today about 20 mins after it happened, that is when she decided to go to the hospital. Then I went back tonight and talked to him again and he had a lot of the same questions, like about the safety chains.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjslawncare/landscap
What a way to learn a lesson. I haul my tractor around all over the place and Im always checking the coupler. So far nothing like that has happend to me (knock on wood)
me too, and I told my crew leader to always check it before moving to the next stop. Never know who may have a grudge against you, whether it be a ex lady friend or LCO. The reason I said LCO, is theres only about one (tiedeman) out of 20 that will wave to you.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know the feeling i had a trailer completly come off the hitch crossed the center line missed a truck and got stuck in the ground. i was lucky nobody was hurt,hitch pins come loose, i use a master long shackle lock.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Never had that happen but I had a gate fall open on the highway. Thankfully I was next to my exit and that kept the sparks to a minimum. All I did was come to work was told I was all set the trailer was loaded and off I went. Never occurred to me that the idiots that loaded the mowers would not be smart enough to put the pins in after lifting the gate.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping
Never had that happen but I had a gate fall open on the highway. Thankfully I was next to my exit and that kept the sparks to a minimum. All I did was come to work was told I was all set the trailer was loaded and off I went. Never occurred to me that the idiots that loaded the mowers would not be smart enough to put the pins in after lifting the gate.

I once drove away with the ramp door down..... one of the owners called me over after I had put things away but didnt close the door.. when we were done talking I got in the truck and drove away.....

Luckily i only needed to replace the the rubber bumps on the door. they were completely gone... after about 10-15 yards......
Old 12-14-2004, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I flip a giant vac towing it with a pintle it never came off the hook it twisted it real bad.

Also don't some trailers come with break away kits.