Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2004, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

working under somebody else's license?

In the state of hawaii you have to have 2 years of experience in the field of spraying that you will be doing. I would REALLY like to become an applicator but the income loss from employing myself out for 2 years makes it impossible.

My question is: can I still have my own accounts while working under another landscaper license?

for instance, T and C lawn service (me) works under big joe's applicator license. I drum up my own business, under my name and they are my accounts accept I give big joe half of my profit for letting me work under his license.

after the two years I no longer work for big joe and keep the current accounts I have.

do you think that this would be LEGAL? I think that I know a landscaper that would be willing to do it with me.

A student taking a philosophy class had a single question on his final: "What is courage?" The student wrote: "This", signed it, and turned it in.

in Iraq, ever since the beginning of time, men have fought for, land, power, money, and greed. but what are we fighting for? .... we are fighting for something new, we are fighting, because it is the right thing to do.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I doubt it, if there was an accident eveyone would be pointing the finger at the other guy, maybe you could let yourself be hired by this guy and work for him part time, letting him profit from you accounts as payment for "training", but let all the paper work for applications be tied to his company. doesn't help your pocket book in the short term but would in the long term. good luck
Old 12-17-2004, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

TC

I do something like that with a couple of guys here in Florida. However it is totally legal because they actually work for me part time and have their own Lawn mowing business. They sell jobs to many of their customer and service them using my equipment and they are billed by me. I pay them on a commission bases with all taxes and worker comp etc. Of course I train them and supervise all work they do. I do require a pre-employement test in math and Pesticides before I start to train them. However I give them study material first.

It takes 3 years in Florida to sit for the test. So it is not real easy to get a license when you are in business for your self. Approach your friend with the Idea that there can be something in it for him. That something is the income he can recieve from your work. Then stay loyal to him until you pass the test. In my case if a guy working for me can not pull his weight then he is gone plain and simple.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the way it works here, in the garden state is.....in order for you to be able to provide your accounts with pest apps, is if you are a "registered pest business". now, in order to be a registered pest business, you must be, or must employ, a licensed aplicator, that will be deemed "the responsible aplicator"
Old 12-17-2004, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

TCLawn,I see your from paradise, does "Best Buns on Maui" still operate under the Denny's across from Kam 2 >>> Ted
Old 12-17-2004, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverGreen
TCLawn,I see your from paradise, does "Best Buns on Maui" still operate under the Denny's across from Kam 2 >>> Ted
yes they still are there. I don't know how good of business they've been doing though. it seems like a lot of businesses in the rainbow mall have gone under recently. the old ones that are still there are, laperts, best buns on maui, denny's, the canton chef, hawaiian shades, and a tourist store that on the right of best buns on maui.

A student taking a philosophy class had a single question on his final: "What is courage?" The student wrote: "This", signed it, and turned it in.

in Iraq, ever since the beginning of time, men have fought for, land, power, money, and greed. but what are we fighting for? .... we are fighting for something new, we are fighting, because it is the right thing to do.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In the state of Ohio, you can work under someone else's license. Example, Trugreen Chemlawn. Very few of the employees have a pesticide app license.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osc
In the state of Ohio, you can work under someone else's license. Example, Trugreen Chemlawn. Very few of the employees have a pesticide app license.
I think what you might mean is for example in Indiana those companys must have a certain amount of certified applicators on staff to supervise the registered technician's, so everyone spraying for trugreen isn't certified, just an RT.(easier to obtain).
Old 12-18-2004, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
now, in order to be a registered pest business, you must be, or must employ, a licensed aplicator, that will be deemed "the responsible aplicator"

BooBy

I got my license by hiring a full time Certified operator. Even with a degree you need to work under a licensed operator for one year in my state. I have never worked for a pest control company other than the one I own.

Yes this can be expensive to hire a licensed operator. But you have to look at the long run. Education costs, But once you have all the licenses you are good to go.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TClawn
yes they still are there. I don't know how good of business they've been doing though. it seems like a lot of businesses in the rainbow mall have gone under recently. the old ones that are still there are, laperts, best buns on maui, denny's, the canton chef, hawaiian shades, and a tourist store that on the right of best buns on maui.
Thanks I was just curious as I used to stay a month each winter back "up the hill" in a condo. Got to know the people that had Maui Expresso and Best Buns and some of the crew at Dennys. Never met anyone there that wasnt a genuine hard worker. I dont think the tourist trade ever realizes how tough it is to make a living there due to the cost envolved. Thanks for the reply and take care, Ted