Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2004, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

When are apartment community bids usually taken?

I'm actually a CPA 3 years out of college and a friend of mine and I are looking to start our own landscaping business in one of the fastest growing counties in the nation. I don't have a passion for what I'm doing and I am very passionate about starting a landscaping business from scratch. My friend and I have over 10 years each of landscaping while growing up and in college. We know that it's tough work, but our goal is to grow the business gradually over five years. We want to get some guaranteed contracts before we quit our jobs altogether. Any ideas.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do you want to start off with apartment buildings? There is a lot of mistakes if you want to start off with apartment buildings, start off with residential 1st then move on to commercial sites when you are ready..
Old 12-18-2004, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Most commercial properties want someone who is established, they usually ask for references. Not likely that you'll land an apartment complex your first year in business. Never hurts to try though, I would contact a few now and see when and if they are looking for new bids.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Most apartment buildings are managed by property management companies, if you call around and talk to a property management company and ask them if you can be on the vendor's list you can bid on commercial properties..
Old 12-18-2004, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

We both want to take home at least $40,000 each in the first year from mowing and landscape maintenance projects. Anyone have any idea how many residential yards this would require and what is the going rate for mulching jobs?
Old 12-18-2004, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgreiwe
We both want to take home at least $40,000 each in the first year from mowing and landscape maintenance projects. Anyone have any idea how many residential yards this would require and what is the going rate for mulching jobs?
Residential yards vary, but I will not put the truck in park for less than $35 per cut. As far as mulch, I double what I paid for it, say hardwood shredded is $21/yard, charge MINIMUM $42 to install it, but I try to charge $50 per yard.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I love that your thinking about leaving your Corporate job. I practice Law full time for years, I helped a guy get started with his landscape business years ago and now I run the company full time, I love it and would not change a think. (I still do some legal work from time to time, but its not near as fun). Send me an email i would enjoy hearing about your plan.

To answer your question, we have found that most, not all, but most apartments fiscal year is Jan to Dec. so thet take bids From Nov. to Dec. However, you really need to call them all to find out. They are all a bit different.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Bids nov.- dec.

Argg... I was looking forward to trying to get some apartment contracts for the new season...looks like i missed the boat.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

do your own homework

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgreiwe
get in the truck drive around bid jobs, ask what others are charging..... you want to TAKE HOME 40k per year ( im assuming net)each in your first year.. HA good luck send me a copy of ur 1040 next year. LOL as to how many residential yards that would require... why are you asking us your the accountant right???? depends on how much they go for in your area. duh. so lets say a yard goes for 40.00 that would be 71 yards per week @40.00 for 28 wks. (my mowing season) . that would bring you in at 79520 b4 you pay for expensies.... and that wouls be ALOT depending on how many mistakes you make like all of the rest of us have...... looks like the 2 of you are going to be humping it this year.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Ecobjs I can't gain access to your profile for some reason. Mind posting your email on this thread????