Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2001, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

my truck is a 89 super duty with two gas tanks i have been having trouble with the front tank it seems at times while im driving that the truck is going to stall. i switch to the rear tank and im fine then i whitch to the front agian and im ok for a little time till the problem happens agian, now so far this is what i changed, fuel fillters and fuel pump and i still having trouble. did anyone have the same problem or could help?
thanks
Old 02-01-2001, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Frank

Each tank has it's own low pressure pump,which feeds the high pressure pump on the frame rail.9 times out of ten,with the exact problem you describe,it's the low pressure pump in the tank (whichever tank is giving you the problem).Just make sure there is power going to that pump,when the switch is on that tank.
Old 02-02-2001, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wlyd???

I have the same problem in my 89 after having the leaking gas tank replaced. Ill be heading to my mechanic tommorrow to question him on this possibility.

But just for sh*ts and giggles whats the 10th out of 10th possible reason????

Thanks,

CMerLand
Old 02-03-2001, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Member

CMerland

The other 110 th is something like a switch,control valve,unplugged tank connector,broken wire,etc.If the tank was just replaced i'd tend to lean more towards something like a broken wire,or the tank unit is not plugged in properly.If the gauge works for that tank,then the connector must be plugged in,but it could not be seated fully,or a wire got damaged.I have also seen some aftermarket replacement tanks,or the incorrect tank be installed which were a hair to small,and the pickup tube was jammed against the bottom of the tank,blocking it off.You can feel for this by pushing up on the bottom of the tank,below the pickup,and if the tank feel fairly stiff,and has no give at all,it may be touching.

Old 02-03-2001, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply wlydman but the same day you posted my truck came back from the mechanic . i went to ford to fix my problem. $550 dollars later the problem was fix. the part cost $5.00 and the labor $495.00. the truck was there a half a day not only did they pull my pants down but they gave it to me dry!!! it turns out to be a wiring problem the part they replaced is called sealer hylomar. i tried to complian about the labor but it didnt help me still had to pay full.

cmerland.... if it helps part# fmc f7az 19554 ca
name:sealer hylomar

[Edited by Frank on 02-03-2001 at 02:09 AM]
Old 02-03-2001, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Glad you got it fixed.Test drive it on that tank,for a good long run,to make sure they fixed it right,as it still could be a bad in-tank pump.If it's not fixed,get it back to them ASAP.That price for labour,is pretty steep.Shouldn't take more than an hour to completely check out that circuit for all the fuel pumps.Maybe 1.5 or 2.0 to drop the tank,and 0.5 to repair.I'd question them again,and make them show you the labour operations in the labour guide.If you need it,i'll look up the exact figures im my labour guide (i own a repair shop),and e-mail you a copy if you wish.It's law that they must follow this guide.The part number you listed is for a tube of silicone,nothing special.They may have used it to seal something,but it's not an actual part you cab just replace.That's why it was only $5.00.
Old 02-07-2001, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for your replys wldyman. i took the truck out yesterday for plowing everything was running fine. i still cant get over the charges so i think will call ford to complain on this one. the thing is you dont need to take down the gas tank it has a dump body so there is even less labor involved. a tube of silicone you said jeeez!!. they charged me all that money and added the silicone. i tell ya i better start learning repairs. lol

Thanks again
Frank