Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-01-2005, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek
i only gave a bit of my background to you because you deemed it necessary to tell us why our critiques were wrong and your's were right.
I did not say everyone was wrong........I just didn't agree with it. Art is like a woman...some will say it's doggy, and some will say it's beautiful. Some of the art works here I think are nice, and some are doggy, but that's just my opinion. I just didn't like being ripped while everyone else is getting accolades. As a matter of fact the thing that bothered me the most was the know-it-all who said there are no hills in Florida, except Gainesville, and that the theme was wrong for the area. I didn't even respond to your original comments about the bullets, but I just may consider changing that part of it and eliminating the strokes running on the top of the hillsides. When you attack someones work, you have to expect a possible poor reaction. If one of your customers told you your work sucked, and you didn't agree with their opinion, you might be pissed. People expressed their opinion about my work....I didn't agree with it, and I expressed mine. I just didn't think everyone would be so tactless. I'll know better the next time if there is one.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

wannabe2

like you said yourself, grow a thicker skin. And if you still feel like you are being picked on visit any thread that Premierlandscaping has stepped into. That guy takes a pounding (rightfully so). These guys were just doing as you asked, critiquing your flyer.

Did it suck, no. Was it great, no. Would it be made better if you listened to some of the advice given. In my humble opinion, yes.

Ask questions with an open mind or don't bother to waste the bandwidth.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision
wannabe2
like you said yourself, grow a thicker skin.
You're absolutely right...I shouldn't have ventured into the sharks tank without the chainmail suit. I just thought my idea was good and didn't expect that kind of reaction.

The fact is....I have not disputed any of the previous advice, as far as the grammar in the first sentence, or the bullets in the green area or the stroke lines on the hills. That's fine, I made a couple of technical errors, and I will work on that. What pissed me off was the statement made that my scene was irrelevant to the area I am working in. I live here and I can tell you that the scenery is accurate. I may have exaggerated the hills slightly, but it was for effect only. I don't think my local audience in the Sorrento, Eustis and Mt. Dora area will object to my taking "artistic license".

The one thing I have learned here is to not ask for an opinion without being prepared for the potential results, so from now on I will just observe what other people ask, note the answers, and remember the ones that seem relevant to my situation.

As far as my art goes.....it was Picasso compared to the piece of junk that was hung on my door last week asking for my business for landscaping services.....2 color and looked like it was run out of someone's home Inkjet printer.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe2
What pissed me off was the statement made that my scene was irrelevant to the area I am working in.

I live here and I can tell you that the scenery is accurate.

I may have exaggerated the hills slightly, but it was for effect only.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Noel,

I think your flyer looks pretty good. The thing I would change would be to lose the list in the upper portion of the flier. Most of it is unnecessary & repeated information. Maybe add a little more landscaping to it.. more palms & flowers.

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com

Last edited by Lawn-Scapes; 02-02-2005 at 02:56 PM. Reason: I dunno....
Old 02-02-2005, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

HEY PETRENTZO!-You Just Can't Resist Being A Bloviating Know-It-All, Can You????
Old 02-02-2005, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn-Scapes
Noel,

I think your flyer looks pretty good.
Thanks, Lawn-Scapes....you're the only one with the guts to say anything positive.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd like to know what some of you have paid (approximately) to have those nice door hangers/postcards designed and produced. How many did you get for the money spent. Thanks

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com
Old 02-03-2005, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

designoutpost designs for just about anything (logo, brochures, flyers, etc) seem to be in the $125-$200 range, which is significantly lower than if you walked into a design shop.

as for the printing costs, vistaprint and 48hourprint are comparable. as an example, the 48hour numbers i have in front of me come in around $600 for 5,000 full-color, double-sided flyers. both sites list all pricing on their sites.

tony
Old 02-03-2005, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

How about beatin up om me for awhile

Let me know what you guys thing.

The flier is located here feb15_flyer

This flyer will be printed on Canary Yellow paper. I am going to print this one myself (roughly 5000) and toss out into driveways alongside their newspapers.
These should go out Feb 15.

The next set (10,000) will go out March 5. I will hit the first 5000 houses again. The March 5th one will offer a discounted service or two.

The third set will go out April1 (15000) hitting the previous 10,000 again. The third set will offer another discounted service and have magnetic business Cards in them. The third set will be professionaly designed and printed.

This is the plan unless you folks change it for me. Let me know your thoughs on everything that I have outlined Pleeeeez.

Jim