Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProSvcs
How about beatin up om me for awhile

L I am going to print this one myself (roughly 5000) and toss out into driveways alongside their newspapers.

Personally, I'd never throw a flyer onto a driveway. It's just looks really unprofessional.
I was coming home one day and as I drove down my street, I saw a little clear baggie and white piece of paper in it, on ALL the driveways. It looked like trash all over the neighborhood!.
Turned out to be a flyer from a local fitness center. They put rocks in the bags and threw them from a car.
I was tempted to call them and ask them not to throw their trash on my property!
I was actually mad. Is that really the first impression you want to make on potential clients?

I wouldn't hire a lawn service that did that. I figure if they take short cuts like that, I don't want them taking care of my lawn.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Banned

Also, Jim, re-read the part on your flyer about playing golf. There's an extra word in there somewhere I think.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
How about beatin up om me for awhile

Jim

jim, you should put this in a thread by itself, so that people will see it. when it's at the end of a thread, not many people will take a look at it.

i like your logo and you in the picture. but i am going to be honest...that's all i like. i am sorry. :blush: :blush:

it looks like you did it yourself, and it looks immature. the shading on the wording is too much hard to read. those things that look like clouds (cutouts ???) do not look professional. i like the sign "We relieve stress".

too cluttered, too many square boxes, too many things going on.

also, at the very end, there is an extra bullet with nothing next to it.

There is a period after the first two bullet sentences, and no period after the third bullet. Bullets should never have punctuations.

i cant design anything either. if it was not not for my wife, i'd pay designeroutpost. just a thought. sorry....

hope you dont get pissed off like someone else i wrote to recently!!
Old 02-03-2005, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

gogetter,

I noticed the mis spelling after i posted it.

I really never thought about the driveway thing because that is the way the newspaper is delivered around here. I appreciate the comments and I will rethink the delivery method.

How is the overall appearance of the flyer??

what do you think about the frequency and order for dispursement that I have planned??

I am not like some PPL that cannot take criticism, he ll I am being criticized by everyone for starting business full time this year.

Honest answers wanted.

TIA
Jim
Old 02-03-2005, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Honest answers wanted.
Jim

that;s the best way to learn !!!
Old 02-03-2005, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

petrentz,

Thank you for the honesty, (Ime not pissed off at all). I did design it myself and will probably redesign it 10 more times based on the feedback i get here. I am on a limited budget for design work as I am just starting up this year. I did this part time for five years and last year due to traveling for my nice safe job, Well, I have been layed off for a few months and have spent the time getting all equipment ready to go, Purchasing some additional equipment that was needed, and getting all documentation in order. So, i am hoping with everyones help, that i can get a nice clean flier together without needing to outlay cash at this time.

BTW: Do you feel that my plan for distributing and the sequences for printing are OK??

TIA

Jim
Old 02-04-2005, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

jim, i tell you....if it were me, i'd not waste any time or money on flyers..they never worked for me. do a quick search on here. you will see that they have not worked for most people on here...it's all about vollume. if you dont have it (and 10K is nothing), you will not get clients. i think Walker Takler is doing 30K. big money for that

What i'd do if i were you is get truck magnets.....then you will reach more poeple. at least people that will read your sign!!!..

glad you did not get offended.

i dont use fliers. tried about 800 or so....not a sigle call. never again.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrentz
jim, i tell you....if it were me, i'd not waste any time or money on flyers..they never worked for me. do a quick search on here. you will see that they have not worked for most people on here...i
Alright, now I gotta stop ya! ;-) I have found the exact opposite on this site, and in my personal experience.
I have read more times then not, that flyers were the preferred method of advertising for qiute a few members here. Obviously not all, but if they work for Jim Lewis and Justmowit, then that's enough for me.

Most of my customers have come from flyers. The only thing I'm doing differently this year is switching to door hangers, just because they will go on the doors easier and save me from buying flyer bags and putting them in the bags first.

If you put out 800 and didn't get a single call, then I have to question the flyer itself, or the timing.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

jim, can you shed some light on the print process you'll use? are you running them off on your color ink jet printer or having copies done at office depot? more often than not, people don't look at the cost of printing on their home pc. 500 on an inkjet, with that many pictures, and printed at a good quality could cost you a hundred bucks or more in ink (my math on this is no longer good as i only use an inkjet for mock-ups). for $200, you could get 500 full-color, double-sided fliers at 48hourprint or vistaprint.

are the pictures high resolution? don't use typical pics from the web (72dpi) as they will come out in very poor quality.

the pic of the hedge trimmin' dude... what i take from it is that it's you doing work for a client and not wanting to be there. the rest of the thought bubbles clear up the hedge guy's thought and ad the context, but you might be better served to not make people think too hard.

check your capitilization mid-sentence. "better than my neighbors, After all" lose the capital "A".

the beveled, chrome-looking font: is it easily readable on your test prints?

"Mower Man always TOO Busy?" again, the capital "B" should not, uh, be. that whole line seems awkward to me. if you're going to take some form of shot like that, you might as well say "neighbor kid". everyone relates to the neighbor kid not showing up, but then you run the risk of trying to trample little billy.

and after all that, it's dawned on me... if budget's a big problem, you really might want to consider dropping the pics and having all flat color text and your logo printed on a color paper at the local office depot. last fall, i ran an insert like this and officeMax printed it for $250 on 6,500 tan sheets. turned out terrific.

tony
Old 02-04-2005, 12:42 AM
Banned

Jim, I would seriously consider having a printer do them rather then doing them yourself. Check some local places first, but then compare priced with some online printers.

Doing 5K, 10K and 15K yourself will not only take forever, and cost you a lot on paper and ink cartridges. I think if you compare the costs, it would be worth using a printer to save you the trouble.
(unless of course you work in a print shop and that's what you meant when you said you were going to print them yourself).

The flyer itself is ok. Refine the wording a bit.

Are you going to distribute them yourself? That's a LOT of flyers! But you should get a ton of work from that many.

Good luck.