Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-23-2004, 02:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Equipmemt storage issue....

Hey guys ,Just put our stuff away for the year (i hope). This year i we did a (may be x-tream P-M) on the mowers. We (I) did the routine stuff ,but this year i drained the fuel tanks then i changed the filter an i cleaned the carb . also....Question is....should i re- fuel ...or leave it dry till spring??????????????Lets hear it from you guys?????
Old 12-23-2004, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

winterize

If the tank is COMPLETELY dry, that is ok to leave it. If there is any gas, it is better to fill to the top and put in stabilizer. Make sure the carb is empty-so it doesnt get gummed up. I try to keep most of my stuff in a heated garage to avoid the freezing/thawing effect.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoalie
If the tank is COMPLETELY dry, that is ok to leave it. If there is any gas, it is better to fill to the top and put in stabilizer. Make sure the carb is empty-so it doesnt get gummed up. I try to keep most of my stuff in a heated garage to avoid the freezing/thawing effect.

Please explain the freezing thawing effect. I live in a much colder climate than you and have been keeping my stuff in sheds with no heat or insulation with no problems. So whats the deal? Am I doing damage?
Old 12-23-2004, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I've always filled the tanks FULL of fuel and add the gas stabilizer. Then let it run for a few minutes to allow the stabilizer to run through the entire system. I've read that if you leave it empty or half empty, it allows moisture to enter your tank. Makes sense. This is how I"ve always done it and never had a problem.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

But if the tanks are "dry" what difference would it make?
Old 12-24-2004, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I run my equipment 1 time a week to keep battery up keep it in top shape
Old 12-24-2004, 11:19 AM
Banned

Our stuff gets used year round, you never know when we'll mow in the winter, each year is different. I just grease up, pressure wash, paint deck, and wd-40 the carb, and bolts and stuff.....

Old 12-24-2004, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I have always like to fill up the tanks and add stabil and then let the mower run for about 15 to 20 minutes to insure that the treated fuel gets in the carb. The only problem with leaving the tanks dry is that it is almost impossible to get all of the gas out of the carb even if you run the engine till the engine dies, there will still be some trace amounts of old gas in the carb. This small amount of gas can varnish in no time causing headaches in the spring. And with the new motors having carbs with no mixture screws they can be a real pain to clean if they do varnish.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I'm done for the year, I put the equipment in dry,unheated shed. I don't do a damn thing to it. Gas won't go bad in 3 months so no stab-il. I start it every so often to scare the mice away. In the Spring, I totally service all the equipment. Oil,air,gas filters, grease, adjust, etc. Never had a problem, except for the little gremlins that cause the flat tires. Why spend money if it's just going to sit there.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Most of my equipment sets outside in the weather. I dont own a shop with big enough doors to park inside. Small equipment get stored under one of those portable carports. My larger stuff gets washed and winterized and then just parked. Winterizeing involves draining all tanks of water, flushing clean and then draining pumps. Leaving drains open on tanks as well. A little water and cold weather can cost $1000's in busted pumps. Fuel tanks are topped off with fresh fuel, diesel fuel conditioner for the diesel engines, plain gas for the ones that use gas. Everything is greased before putting up for the winter. This help prevent bearing from locking up from moisture that somehow always finds its way inside of them. (pressure washer). I like to wait until spring to change oil and filters. The reason I do this is because moisture will collect in the crankcase during the cold weather and changing oil in the spring insures me that I dont have moisture in my oil when I start back up. At least thats my theory.