Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2004, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone Have problems with cc chargebacks

I am trying to get set up to collect credit cards, but they are telling me that I need to get imprints of cards to protect from chargebacks. I told them that is impossible because I most times dont even see or personally meet some of my customers. They told if i dont get imprints then there is no sure way of knowing I did the work and that they can easily stick me with the chargeback. THen they said if get over 2% chargebacks then they will close my account. Before I sign up, I want to know if anyone else has a major problem with chargebacks?
Old 12-23-2004, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbetters
I am trying to get set up to collect credit cards, but they are telling me that I need to get imprints of cards to protect from chargebacks. I told them that is impossible because I most times dont even see or personally meet some of my customers. They told if i dont get imprints then there is no sure way of knowing I did the work and that they can easily stick me with the chargeback. THen they said if get over 2% chargebacks then they will close my account. Before I sign up, I want to know if anyone else has a major problem with chargebacks?
It is true, you need to protect your merchant chargeback history! Since we charged $800,000 this season on cards, all on the phone & had 3 chargebacks, it is obvious we were thinking about our history. If we have any signal all all that someone is unhappy, we do not charge their card & collect from filed a claim on the property.

So, just be aware & careful & you will experience no problems.
MJ
Old 12-24-2004, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi kdbetters,

Quote:
they are telling me that I need to get imprints of cards to protect from chargebacks.
Different cc company's may require different things from you. You can still have a chargeback even if you get an imprint.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

We do some cc transactions, about150 - 200 per year. We do not imprint cards. In the three years we have done this, we have had zero charge backs.

If don't know if this is heavy enough usage to help you as you make your decision. Good Luck

Tom
Old 12-24-2004, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I only except credit cards through paypal right now. What exactly is a charge back? Is it when a customer decides to whitdraw payment or when a card declines?

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

We've been accepting cc for a few years now and have had zero charge backs. We pay a slightly higher merch fee and are in the "mail order" catagory since we don't usually see and hold the card for an imprint. We do get our service thru an association and benefit from lower service fees.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm.. is swiping the card and getting the signature on the slip considered the same thing as getting the imprint? I'm not sure there's any freakin way we'd be doing the swipe and the imprint...
Old 12-25-2004, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

What exactly is a charge back?

Its when a consumer disputes a charge - sometimes they can't figure out who made the charge.

so when you set up a cc its important to have your company name plus phone # - that way the customer can clearly see its from you, and if they forgot they can call the number by your company name.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony-MB
What exactly is a charge back?

Its when a consumer disputes a charge - sometimes they can't figure out who made the charge.

so when you set up a cc its important to have your company name plus phone # - that way the customer can clearly see its from you, and if they forgot they can call the number by your company name.
That answers a lot. I was going to say that if you bill the customer after the job is complete, it would stop charge backs. But you had to come up with a scenario that blows that right out of the water

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:02 AM
LawnSite Member

I'v had to dispute charges on my card before - Have to send a letter stating why you want to dispute it.
Then the merchant account contacts business owner requesting info to prove its a valid charge - signed contract, signed service agreement, imprint of card.

This also gives the business time to contact the costumer reminding them of the service - and of posible other collection methods should thier charge back be successful.