Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2004, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Brochures...Sticky notes...Flags....good idea or not?

Im thinking of having a professionally designed tri-fold brochure done to hand out along with my business cards. Maybe a little company background info...a few before and after pics of what I do along with a complete list of services offered. Whatcha think?

Also thinking of having sticky notes made with my logo and # saying..."We serviced your property today...Have a nice day." Every time we do a property and the customer is away we leave one on the door.

Is that overkill or professional?

Last but not least.....Since I do alot of stump work and my area has been hit with some major storm damage over the last year. I thought I might buy some of those small American flags on a stick. Have some business cards made with the American flag theme promoting my "stump grinding service". Ride around on the off season (which is now) to the storm damaged areas and anyone with a visible stump on their property...stick up a flag with a biz card attached. I think this would be an absolute winner. What do you think?
Old 12-23-2004, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The idea about the brochure is a good one...especially if designed professionally. Hand that to a customer compared to what the other joe's give them will give you the edge. The idea about stumps is a great idea also. You can get plastic stakes with a one color 4x5 card for around .10 cents each. Like an oversized business card.

I would scrap the idea about leaving a note each time you mow....a bit overkill if you ask me.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 12-24-2004, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi o-so-n-so,

Quote:
Also thinking of having sticky notes made with my logo and # saying..."We serviced your property today...Have a nice day." Every time we do a property and the customer is away we leave one on the door.
I think that's a great idea. If you do this, let us know how they work out. In case you need design ideas, here is something for you.

Click image for link. 3"x4" post it note design
Old 12-24-2004, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Brochures-Definately.I'm working on designing mine.Two fold instead of three though.
Post its-Nah.They should be able to see you've been there For applications though,yes.Don't want someone walking across a lawn that was just sprayed with iron.
Flags-No.But just just because you'd be tresspassing on someones property in order to place them next to the stump.Most folks don't want someone sticking something in their lawn without permission.
Have a Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

there was a guy that rode around doing stumps he would staple a flyer with a price on it to the stump he seemed to get work then again he was cheep
Old 12-24-2004, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN
Flags-No.But just just because you'd be tresspassing on someones property in order to place them next to the stump.Most folks don't want someone sticking something in their lawn without permission.
Have a Merry Christmas.
I don't see any difference than someone walking up to their front door and hanging a flyer or dorrhanger! Some are going to despise it, but you have to do what you have to do. Out of 5000 doorhangers you might piss 10 or 20 people off, but you might get 40 or 50 calls.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 12-25-2004, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Why not just take the same approach with stump grinding as you do with lawn care. If you see a stump, leave a flyer with price on the door. I agree, I wouldn't want someone walking through my lawn looking for stumps and then making me walk out to grab an advertisement off it.

Gold Star for thinking outside the box!

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy
Why not just take the same approach with stump grinding as you do with lawn care. If you see a stump, leave a flyer with price on the door. I agree, I wouldn't want someone walking through my lawn looking for stumps and then making me walk out to grab an advertisement off it.

Gold Star for thinking outside the box!
Agreed. Flyer on the door is more noticable and your less likely to piss the person off. BTW what do you charge for stump grinding in your area? Do you just eyeball it? Measure the diameter? Go by area? Here myself and most others go by diameter of the stump at its widest point + surface runners and add 6"-12" for the extra width underground. Guys charge any where from $3.25 -$4.00 per inch depending on distance and the machine they use. I charge a flat rate of $3.75/ inch. Just interested to hear how its done in another part of the world.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me explain the Flag idea in more detail....

OK...start out by driving around in a selected area......and work that area over...this will be an area that was hit hard by storm damage this last season. ( most of the get rich quick people have moved on to another area) When driving through the neighborhood....if I spot a stump from my truck....stop, pull into the drive way of that resident, get out and stick the flag around the mailbox area or close to the home entrance. I'm not going to walk thru the lawn without permission.

This is for the customers benefit as well as mine...I will be offering a reasonable price for this service. Stump grinding, clean up, topsoil and re sod/seed. I will offer to do as much or as little as the customer wants.

The flag will be the standard small American flag on a stick. Attach a biz card with the American flag them on it saying something like this. "Hello my name is O-SO-N-SO with o-so-n-so's stump grinding service. I plan on being in this area in the next few weeks grinding stumps. For a free estimate or information on this service please call me at toll free number. thank you

I feel i got a 50/50 chance on a return call because each flag will represent a potential customer. Once in the neighbor hood grinding, i feel the work will just keep coming (from my experience).

I think putting a price on the card is a bad idea because they might have some stumps that you did not see, like in a fenced in rear lawn.

I charge a service fee ( determined by distance from starting point)+ a flat dollar amount per average size stump. (average is the size of a 5 gal bucket) not more than 6" above grade. The price goes up with additional distance and size of stumps. Surface roots, hard access, rocky soils and cut off's will add to the price as well.

Last edited by o-so-n-so; 12-26-2004 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have always though about putting small flags with business card out before July 4th. Does anyone know of a good place to buy the flags? I only need about a 1000.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.