Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-20-2000, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

anybody take the shield off your trimmersi know it kills your legs but it is the first thing i do when i buy a new one
Old 05-20-2000, 10:07 PM

Why, knowing the hazards, do you do it? And just what do you gain by having the shield missing?
Old 05-20-2000, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would think that removing the guards from any pice of equ. would be a big INS issue, especially if hired help were involved,due to injury.I know I wouldn't want to try to explain to workers comp or osha why a guard was missing from a trimmer.
Old 05-20-2000, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its not very safe but every bone does it it makes for a bigger trimming radius becuase the sheild has a cut off blade that will limit your line lenght. if you still want the shield and a long line try taking out the blade maybe that will work too.
Old 05-20-2000, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

We have some guards off and some in place, just for personal preferance.Try it before you knock it. I do not find any leg injuries occuring. It gives a bigger swath, more visibility, and more trimability(all the way around objects without moving.)
Old 05-20-2000, 11:40 PM

Hello Everybody:<p>Removing the guards is dangerous, but it will almost double productivity when operating a trimmer. <p>If your crew edges with a trimmer, nothing can come close to that quality of edging. My crew knew that if they did not have proper eye protection that they could refuse to do the job & I would never say a word. But I always had excellent eye protection. They always had the best in safety equipment!<p>There is plenty of ways to stay safe & if you have good insurance there is no problem. My men came first, then the work.<p>How can you stay safe spraying, but you pay people to spray dangerous chemicals? You pay them to drive a overloaded trailer with no brakes on trailer? You put them on a ladder or roof with no safety belt. OSHA makes the rules, changes the rules & most of all breaks the rules!<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 05-21-2000, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

We too take the shields off the trimmers. It increases radius and manuevering. I can not work with the sheild on. I wear eye protection and I never get anything on my legs more than just annoying. It also lets us do light edging.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>Grass Roots Lawn Care (Fla)
Old 05-21-2000, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

My Shin. T27 came with an all metal guard that doesn't have a cutter because it's an auto head. If I'm not mistaken the line clears the bottom edge even if it's out beyond the guard. <br>I know of a company just transporting a chainsaw with broken chain brake handle and being fined $500 by OSHA. I realize that this not the same thing but it's something everyone might want to check into.
Old 05-21-2000, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I too like the shield off, but if its real hot out and you wanna wear shorts your legs will not only take a beating they will be so covered with grass you wont be able to see any skin and oyur also way more prone to getting poison ivy this way. I found a way to modify my sthil trimmer so the shield is like an extra 2 inches longer it really helps a lot.
Old 05-21-2000, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I also take shields off but I replace them with the shield that comes with saw blade kit , it does not have line cut off blade but offers a little more protection then no guard