Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-26-2004, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Post Card Size???

What do you guys think is a good size for a post card type mailer. In march I'll be mailing out about 10,000- 12,000. The area that I live in and service is a bunch of rural towns, all within about 30 miles of my house. There is no home delivery of mail in these towns just po boxes. Most of your junk mail never makes it out of the post office since theres a big trach can in there that every body chucks it in.

I'm thinking a larger (6x9) size card so that you can have large type, logo ecetra to catch peoples attention before they chuck it. On the other hand 4x6 is a lot cheaper (not enough so to make my decision for me though). My wife says that its the small stuff that makes it home with her because it gets mixed in with the envelopes and she doesn't notice it when shes throwing out all the flyers.

Like I said the price isn't the deciding issue here. It'll cost around $3,000 for the 6x9 and around $2,500 for the 4x6. If going with the bigger card is the way to go I'll gladly spend the extra $500. If it increases response by 1% of the total flyers that would be 100 new sites * an average of $500 per site= $50,000. Well worth the extra money. So all I care about is which one people think will be more effective..
Old 12-27-2004, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is the $500.00 difference for printing? It will also cost you more to send the large cards. You're cards need to be no bigger than 4X6 to get the postcard rate.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Henry is correct, 4" X 6" (or go with 4.25" X 6") will get the postcard rate. Anything larger will have to go first class. That's .23 or $2300 vs .37 or $3700 first class. Get with a mailing service or do the bulk rate yourself....at least check into. I did a mailing in the spring of 5,000. The company that print them charged me .20 cents each and that included them printing the targeted address on the postcard. I never even seen them, other than the dozen or so that was mailed to me via return address.

What route are you going with?

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 12-27-2004, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I live in Canada so its a little different. I can drop off the cards at the post office in each town and have them delivered in the mail to those towns for 9.8 cents a piece, either size. I could actually do a full 8.5*11 sheet for the same price, or I could do a newsletter. As long as its unaddressed and I take them to each individual post office myself. So yes the difference in price is just for the printing.

My question was which one would do you think would be a more effective medium? Which one would be more likely to make it home with people and have a chance of a second or third look? Thus increasing the percentage of response I get.