Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-28-2004, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

How does this happen...

A homeowner in a neighborhood where I do alot of work had a swimming pool installed. This is an upper class neighborhood - doctors mostly - homes from $300,000 upward. Anyway, they ask me to give them an estimate to come in and install a new lawn. The pool guys left a rough grade. I would have to install top soil, seed and mulch over. Approximately 5500sqft. Most of the topsoil would have to be wheelbarrowed in because of bad access. Anyway, I
come up with an estimate of $3500-3700. Job is completed at that price at customers satisfaction. So I give the lady the estimate - she opens it up like a maniac - looks at it and...... here is the best part!
SHE TELLS ME THAT THAT PRICE IS WAY TOO HIGH AND SOME OTHER PERSON (NOT CONTRACTOR) IS GOING TO DO THE WHOLE JOB FOR.....$400.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you kidding! The topsoil itself was around $1000. Also come to find out another company gave an estimate near mine. So she went with the $400.00
estimate.
Well since I am always in the neighborhood I kinda check on whats going on.
It took this guy 3 weeks to spread topsoil and I know its not up to finished grade. He never put seed down or anything yet.......... now its covered in snow. I am glad these people learned the hard way. I hope they call me to fix it.....triple the price now!
Old 12-28-2004, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They will get what they pay for thats for sure.It sounds impossible to do it for that price.

www.luxurylawninc.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/LarryN828
Old 12-28-2004, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

haha

Wow thtas great!! sux for you but it kinda makes you feel good in some ways.....hope there happy now. which part of central Ny are you? I'm in rochester. sounds like central ny....bunch of cheapos lol
Old 12-28-2004, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

$400 would not even pay for me to arrange the delivery of the materials

A student taking a philosophy class had a single question on his final: "What is courage?" The student wrote: "This", signed it, and turned it in.

in Iraq, ever since the beginning of time, men have fought for, land, power, money, and greed. but what are we fighting for? .... we are fighting for something new, we are fighting, because it is the right thing to do.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Exactly, I dont feel bad because I didnt get the job.
I just love when the lowballer comes around and cant handle the job!
It gives a sense of relief if you know what I mean.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In our area they would have sodded it for about $600... and hydro mulch would be less all day long. Yep they would have spread about a inch of top soil before hydro... Some of the biggest companies do the work and yes they make money! For $3700 they would have probably put in 2 trees and some shrubs and extended the irrigation to the back. We will send some of our Mexican guys on there to show you how to keep you cost down! It is all about volume no cherry picking down here!
Old 12-29-2004, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had to learn the hard way a couple of years ago. NEVER bid a job if you are clueless and I was clueless on this one. I was the unintentional lowballer. These folks had a new house and had a lowspot where the utilities were brought in and had settled about 2 feet. Gave a bid of $700.00 to bring in topsoil and bring it up to grade, level and seed. Where I made my huge mistake was in estimating the amount of soil needed. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Ended up having to raise my estimate by double. Fortunately, I called it an estimate and the homeowners were good sports and paid. The lady did tell me that the final price was right at what the next higher bid from mine was. They did like the quality of the work though. Live, learn and don't lowball. I got very nervous about halfway through when I realized I had underbid so much.

Schwinn tricycle
11" Tonka push mower
Wal Mart Scissors
Old 12-29-2004, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess
In our area they would have sodded it for about $600... and hydro mulch would be less all day long. Yep they would have spread about a inch of top soil before hydro... Some of the biggest companies do the work and yes they make money! For $3700 they would have probably put in 2 trees and some shrubs and extended the irrigation to the back. We will send some of our Mexican guys on there to show you how to keep you cost down! It is all about volume no cherry picking down here!

no way they can sod for $600.00
that's less than $1.00/yard.
sod will be at least $1.25/yard all by itself without labor.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 12-29-2004, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardPro
no way they can sod for $600.00
that's less than $1.00/yard.
sod will be at least $1.25/yard all by itself without labor.
Maybe they are using Mexican sod, too!
Old 12-29-2004, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad
Maybe they are using Mexican sod, too!
Now that was FUNNY!