Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-30-2004, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need help with my Estimate page.

Just got my site up and running and the only problem I'm having is with the "request an estimate" portion of my contact page. When I hit the submit button, I get a message saying not allowed for my URL (I linked the button to my webhosting e-mail account.). Is there a special e-mail account or other software I need to make this work and get the customer info or did I just mess up the code a bit? Here's my site link. Easy Acres Lawn Care. I have not submitted it to the search engines yet so you will have to type it into the browser if the link doesn't work.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

first guess i'd make is that you don't have your directory set to execute your script. are you running on apache or a windows server?

i'd also make the recommendation to find a form script that will mask your email address and form actions. you've opened the door for a load of spam to and from your account.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am running on a windows server. What do you mean by changing my form script to mask my e-mail address and form execution? Just about every website you go to has their contact e-mail on it, or do you mean something else? I would imagine thay all have the potential to get alot of spam. I'm pretty new to all this website stuff, so any help is appreciated. How would I go about doing this?
Old 01-06-2005, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i guess i could make a small fortune on here by advertising my services for hire every time someone asks a question...

as for being "very tricky", take a look at the folder permissions where the script resides to be sure that it is set to "execute".

turf, with regard to form mail problems, search google for form hacks or form spam and you'll find some useful things. lemme know if you need more direction.

tony

Last edited by tonygreek; 01-06-2005 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i had the ame prob with my gopher templete. so i just got rid of the est. form
Old 01-07-2005, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi turfsurfer,

Your host may or may not allow you to run scripts, you will need to ask them how you would handle this. Let us know what you find.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

just to add context to my post above regarding "making a small fortune whenever someone asks a web question" and the "tricky" thing was not directed to turfsurfer. it was towards a poster selling web services that has been deleted.

tony
Old 01-08-2005, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, part of the problem did turn out to be Godaddy webhosting. They will not allow you to run any kind of coded PHP scripts for your forms. Not really badmouthing them, they seem to be a pretty decent company for the short time I was with them with good support feedback but I really wanted to run my form as is. Also I think my php script has some kinks in it because even though my new host (globat) does support the php, it is not executing my form as I want. Not getting an email and it's taking me to a blank screen instead of back to the contact page. Probably just a few lines of code holding the whole thing up. I figure it's in the php part because the form looks correct on the site.
Figure I'll just find a local place to help me with this one issue. Tony, you're only an hour or so from me. Do you run a design business or are you a green industry guy with a web background just helping out on here? What I'm saying is are you interested in helping if I can't get anybody local for a reasonable price? You seem to have alot of insight into possible security problems with my site that I had no idea of.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

turfsurfer, i own an lco, a home exteriors company, and a legal-industry web company and spent 10 years in high-end ecommerce strategy and design. clients were fortune 5 down to mentoring solo entrepreneurs and start-ups.

as for the godaddy problem, it's not an issue only with them. many of the scripts available actually are harmful to their servers as spammers can easily use your forms to aid them in spamming others. it bogs down the servers, and the possibly hundreds of sites hosted on them, and ultimately ends up with all of those sites (the server itself) being blacklisted by web hosts such as aol. happens all the time.
ironically enough, i'm currently helping another columbus-area lco who hosts on godaddy and is having form problems. shoot me a pm with the hosting plan you are on and which php form script you are using and i'll see if i can help.

tony
Old 01-09-2005, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

does anybody know if besthostingspot.net( i use them) allows or not the form?