Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2001, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

thanks alan. i want to double my customer base by having more customers per drop, and getting the work closer together. after a few years, i am just now starting to get it where i have like 3 or 4 lawns per stop, and i also plan to upgrade my equipment to help keep up, also right now i work full time at night, id like to be able to work part time at my other job and spend more time operating my business. i guess we could go on all day about whats hazardous to our health and what is not, heck, ive already had people argue that cigarette smoking isnt a killer! i personally would rather not apply pesticides. my main reason for this post is to see what your guys opinion is on how potential new customers wouls react to my offer. so far no body seems to think it is a definite no. i mailed out five contracts containing this new policy, on thursday(only 4 days ago), and havnt heard anything yet, either positive or negative, these r potential new customers who i did leaf cleanup only for this past fall, ill see how it goes. as usual, thanks to all for thier input, hope to get more. BOBBY
Old 01-30-2001, 01:30 AM
Millenium Member

Why would you want to sub-out your most profitable service? I can't do enough fertilizing, why don't you have time? I have found no Ill effects yet

Funny, Alan mentions Benzene. remember back when Perrier water has small amounts of Benzene and all of it was pulled off the shelves for "health concerns". One cigarette contains 100 times the amount of Benzene as the water did, what happened to the health concerns?
Old 01-30-2001, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

well, it is up to the individual to decide what he or she wants to expose themselves to. like i said, i know people who smoke thet say it wont hurt u(ask them to run around the block though), and i know people who say marijuana is harmless, just ask them the last time pot caused them a problem, they wont be able to remember. fact is this, weed, grub and insect control was designed for one reason, to kill!not for me thanks. and i have a question: how profitable is the fert program? where i live, u need to pay a fee each year, actually 2 fees, one for the business, one for the applicater, i think it totals about $400-$500 each year. now the applications average $45 each which means i need to apply 12 apps to break even, then acct for the price of the material, and fuel, and i would have to apply about 16 apps, just to break even.if im wrong, so be it, not lookin to argue, we could go on all day, just need advice, thanks for yur response
Old 01-30-2001, 02:42 PM
Millenium Member

Fertilizing programs are very profitable. Example, doing deep root fertilizing I charged $275.00 for one lawn with 11 8-15' trees. Total expenses about $15 in fert & fuel profit @ $260.00. Also, say a bag of fert cost $18.00 and covers 13,500 sf. You charge $35.00 drive up fee & $3.00 per 1000 for fert. Total charges to apply one bag @ a single stop = $75.50, total cost $18.00, profit $57.50 for 20-25 minutes work.

You have 50 customers, 50 times 5 apps a year @ $45 = $11,250.00.

Subtract your expenses listed plus a few more:

State fees: $1000.00 (500 x 2)
New stainless spreader: $300.00
New 200 gallon sprayer: $3000.00
6x10 spray trailer: $750.00

Total fees: $4750.30
Total profit $6499.70

Cost of fertilizers unsure of but shouldn't dig too deep into profits, the following year all equipment would be paid for. Sure wished I lived in your area.
Old 01-31-2001, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

ok, i guess u guys got a point. y would mcdonalds sell u a hamburger, then send u somewhere else for the fries. i may do the ferts for myself in the future, but for right now, id rather not, anyhow any new clients would be under contract with me, not the fert guy, thanks again, u have all been very helpful