Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2005, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff279
file for a business lic and get a tax ID What do I need these for? I'm new to all this.

Thanks,
Ryan
You're not as far along as I had thought. Hmmm...well as other's have said you need more knowledge before diving totally in. Go to your local library and see if in the business section of books if they have one for starting a lawn business. Here they do, it was written in the 1960's but a lot of the business stuff will still apply. This will give you an idea of where to go. Next look on the web at the SBA (that's for small businesses) and go through the tutirails they have. As for charging it's up to you. Charge as much as the job is worth to you. In the begining you will be slow and hourly may work best for that but there is a big problem with that, down the road you will get faster so the more jobs you can do in an hour the better money for you so personally I'd say by the job. You really need the business classes. If you decide to go into something else someday you will be able to apply what you learned to any business. Working for someone else may not seem like what you want to do but it will give you some insight into how stuff is done. You can then use your free time to draw up a business plan, get some advertising together and so forth.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ryan, my friend, it sounds like you are a bit over your head at this point. But, don't fret. Take one thing at a time.

First, how much money do you have to make? If you need a full 40 hr type of paycheck then I would recommend that you go to work for a landscape company while you are learn more about the business. You will be able to learn while being paid and mistakes will not hurt your reputation.

While doing that come home every day and use the search feature on this site. You will learn a lot.

Next, go to the library and read read read all you can about lawns and landscape work. Read about starting your own business.

When you feel more comfortable with what you are doing then you can move towards starting your own business....buy a mower, get accounts etc....

Your commitment is commended, but don't be impatient to the point that you shoot yourself in the foot.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Great advice by Wells... a good overview of what needs to be done.

I would say, however, that while we would not want to be discouraging, we do want to be realistic. Most new small businesses will fail and the main reason is lack of planning and lack of experience. Courses are a good idea, even if you go at night while you work during the day. Working for a reputable LCO is also great advice. I started 15 years ago knowing pretty much nothing and because of circumstance I had to take a job with a local LCO for about 6 months. It was extremely valuable time spent as I learned a lot. Then I went back out on my own and was in a much better position. You will save yourself a lot of headaches if you learn the basics from someone else.

Other than that READ!! Read a lot. Do a search on this site as many people have recommended many books about the biz or about business in general.

Good luck Ryan!
Old 01-01-2005, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lets see new to the business i have a name but from there i dont know what to do .... well i dont mind helping people out from time to time at all but come on man............ give us a break .. go to the library and read some books. do an internet search check out the SBA if ya need some advice more than happy to help ya out... but "Will someone help me , tell me how to start a profitable business Im stuck and dont know what todo" sure no problem my rates are 200/hr ill be more than happy to help you build a profitable business from scratch.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ryan,

The Small Business Administration would also be a great place to start doing research. I'll include the link.
http://www.sba.gov/
Old 01-01-2005, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Too late to edit, oh well, this site may be able to help too, http://www.lawncare-business.com/
Old 01-01-2005, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help guys, but after I posted this, I went to the Local Lib, Read, and Read, and Read, I have a company name, I've got a list of stuff that needs to get done, Im well on my way (just takin baby steps) I want to thank everyone for there imput, although some of it was a little negitive(IM not Stupied) no one said I was but that's how it made me feel, thanks again, Ryan~~~The Help was well needed!
Old 01-02-2005, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff279
Thanks for all the help guys, but after I posted this, I went to the Local Lib, Read, and Read, and Read, I have a company name, I've got a list of stuff that needs to get done, Im well on my way (just takin baby steps) I want to thank everyone for there imput, although some of it was a little negitive(IM not Stupied) no one said I was but that's how it made me feel, thanks again, Ryan~~~The Help was well needed!
ff279,

Keep reading. This site is a wonderful resource. There are others on the web as well that are quite helpful and free. I was in the same spot you are a few months ago. I am still about 2 months from opening the doors, so to speak, for my business, but I do know (theoretically) what to do. I still ask questions pretty regularly and get good answers.

As for being stupid, I think mostly people reacted to the way the question was worded. Without specifics, what you asked for is a pretty tall order. As you learn, you'll find people more than willing to help you, but you need the foundation to ask the specific questions and get good answers.

Oh, and when you tell people you're not stupid, you'll make a stronger case if you spell it correctly.

Best of luck.

Braxton