Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-02-2005, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

USED MOWERS>?>?>?>

Im looking to buy another mower this season. Im not sure if i want to spring for a brand new mower, because of brand new mower prices. So im looking to buy a used one at the auction at the dealer by my house. What type of things should i look out for. What are the expensive things to fix (that are likly to go wrong with mowers), and what are your thoughts on used mowers that you don't really know the history on?
Old 01-02-2005, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would consider hydro problems hard to see ahead of time and expensive to deal with. Motor problems to some degree, but motors are fairly cheap and last a long time if you needed to replace one if you get the mower cheap enough. I don't worry about spindle bearing to much. Relatively inexpensive for spindles in the scheme of things. I would make sure the deck isn't rusted out though. It really matters on how cheap you get it. If you pay to much and then have to spend $2k or more to get it back to good order you haven't accomplished anything. Buying used is not easy without some real equipment knowledge. Buying used at an auction is even more dangerous unless you can try the stuff out before hand to see the issues you might have.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P.
Im looking to buy another mower this season. Im not sure if i want to spring for a brand new mower, because of brand new mower prices. So im looking to buy a used one at the auction at the dealer by my house. What type of things should i look out for. What are the expensive things to fix (that are likly to go wrong with mowers), and what are your thoughts on used mowers that you don't really know the history on?
engine hours, decks, pulleys, belts, hydro pumps, oil, sign of leaks, tires, wheels, frames, linkages, hoses, lift deck up and see underneath, every single thing should be in working condition. Never buy a used mower WITHOUT TEST- DRIVING, CUTTING cause it is the only way you will know about it. Take it for a spin like 15 -20 min it will reveal...when it hot. I certainly passed those mowers that they ship through auction or out of state without letting you trying out cause I can not see and drive so I don't know what needed to be fixed, etc.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

How much service will it get. If this is to be a back up or for light use than used might be OK but if you plan to put it into heavy service, 5 days a week, than I would really try to get new.
The price of a mower compared to the money it brings in makes buying new a good bet for me. For us to spend the time to check out a mower and the time to fix a mower up to useable condition costs much more than the premium for new.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your 2 biggest concerns are the hydros and the engine. Everything else is minor in comparison.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The main thing is the hydro's. Its about a $1500 plus labor repair to replace both pumps and motors so you would wan't to be sure they are in good shape before you buy the machine. The engine is the second thing. An engine replacement or rebuild isn't cheap. Don't buy a high hour machine unless you can talk to the owner and verify that its worth the money. Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

John P.
This probably wont help you, but its a shot. If you happen to get along good, and have a good relationship with your guy who services your equipment, maybe you could pay him some money to come along with you and help you find a good one. Just a thought.