Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-04-2005, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best Stander.....Great Dane or Wright?

What company makes the best stander? the super surfer or the wright stander?

Roll Tide Roll
Old 01-05-2005, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have demoed both, but I OWN Wrights... It is a far better machine , IMHO..You'll get replies saying the GD's have a floating deck, and that makes them better, yada yada, yada...I had all floating decks on my WBs before going to Standers, and all they were was a $ 600.00 option on each WB X 3..I have never needed a floating deck on my 48" Standers. We don't change cutting heights, so no big deal.Even if you need to w/ a Wright, you can do quick caster adjustments w/o moving the deck and rear anti-tip rollers, for a half inch or so. The Wright Stander w/ Raptor blades and mulch kit is a deadly combo for us here in WV w/ fine fescues and rye / bluegrass lawns. They are just as impressive in the fall w/ GG and LG for bagging leaves. My suggestion is demo both for a few days, and see which one fits your needs better.There is a machine out there for every purpose, you just need to define the specific niche for it to fill....
Old 01-05-2005, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Go for Wrights! My guys love em. We had 2, I just bought 2 more and a Sentar. Love em!

Chris
Old 01-05-2005, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

what size standers do you have? Do you think the 36 and 32 inch models are as bad because of rutting as a lot of posts say?

Roll Tide Roll
Old 01-05-2005, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernYankee
what size standers do you have? Do you think the 36 and 32 inch models are as bad because of rutting as a lot of posts say?
I haven't seen the 32 yet but I saw a new 36" and my dealer says that the tires are wider on the new ones and rutting should not be a problem. Demo one
Old 01-05-2005, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

best stander

I have 2 GD Standers, older surfers(not super surfers) w/52" decks. Most of my yards are bigger,and they handle them well. A lot of the guys here like the Wrights. Just a matter of preference, I quess. Mine handle the hills well.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are some Stander stripe pics.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...5&page=2&pp=10
Old 01-05-2005, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactlandscaping
I have demoed both, but I OWN Wrights... It is a far better machine , IMHO..You'll get replies saying the GD's have a floating deck, and that makes them better, yada yada, yada...I had all floating decks on my WBs before going to Standers, and all they were was a $ 600.00 option on each WB X 3..I have never needed a floating deck on my 48" Standers. We don't change cutting heights, so no big deal.Even if you need to w/ a Wright, you can do quick caster adjustments w/o moving the deck and rear anti-tip rollers, for a half inch or so. The Wright Stander w/ Raptor blades and mulch kit is a deadly combo for us here in WV w/ fine fescues and rye / bluegrass lawns. They are just as impressive in the fall w/ GG and LG for bagging leaves. My suggestion is demo both for a few days, and see which one fits your needs better.There is a machine out there for every purpose, you just need to define the specific niche for it to fill....
What he said. But I run gator blades instead of the rapters.

I have ran both the old style and new style danes, the new deere and the wrights. The wright wins hands down.

My best friend works for JD on the commerical mowing equipment. He will flat up tell you the wrights are a better machine.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous
Old 01-05-2005, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not to make your decision more difficult, but I like the Danes a lot better; I've run both. Floating deck,spring loaded platform and most important easy cutting height change.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ah dont let the wright owners fool you . If you decide to go with the great dane, check out the John Deere Quik Trak. Here's my a thread on mine, read through, look at the pictures, see for yourself what makes the Deere a superior choice. The dane's are pretty close to the same as the Quik Traks, but in my thread I explain some of the differences. Mainly the 7IRON deck comes on the Deere vs. a Fabricated deck on the danes and wrights. I know many will tell you "oh I never need a floating deck", but you always have it if you need it. Floating decks make it easier to change deck height (20 secs on a deere or dane) and can cut more uneven terrain. I mean a fixed deck is a fixed deck, nothing you can do about it. If you need a floating deck and you only have a fixed nothing you can do. All it takes is for you to need it once and you will wish you had gotten a floating deck. However a floating deck is not the only advantage over the wrights.

My JD 667
MJLsLawnCareNmore@hotmail.com