Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2005, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I just had a new customer call and want a price on mowing his lawn for the year as well as an aeration and fertilizing. I checked his lawn out and it's a $40 per cut type property on a small corner lot. He's got some of the purple colored weeds coming in now and I've been reading alot out here and wondering if doing this aeration and fertilizing is a good plan for his yard. His neighbor has the very nice looking plush green lawn already. This man just moved from out of town to here. I only have one of those two behind aerators you put blocks on (probably a home depot or agri-supply maybe for example Brinly I think) that has the spoon type tines. Could I use this on his small corner property pulling aerator with my JD L110 tractor fairly easlily. No big hills, just some small strips of lawn between sidewalk and road that seems like it would be a pain with a tow behind. Unless it's wide enough for my aerator, Maybe it is. I figure with this type aerator I would quote him at $75 for the aeration and $75 for fertilizing his lawn afterwards. Should some of that Scott's turf builder with weed killer be a good choice to apply just before and just after aeration? I want to make his lawn look a little more decent anyway. Yes, I'm a newbie. Matter of fact this would be my first every aeration and fertizlizing. I know soil tests are usually needed but wondered if there are some safe seed/fertilizer products out there by Scott's or whoever that won't create some kind of disaster with the lawn. I find these soil tests a pain and I've done 2 now and they never mail me my results. Don't know what's up with that. Thanks for any advice or help for a newbie here. Really just want to do those 2 things he wants so maybe I can get his lawn for the season at that $40 per cut. I think I may not get anything though if I can't offer an aeration and fertilizing for him though. Maybe I should rent a small lighter weight hopefully walk behind to do my first aeration on such a small lawn really.

I'm gonna practice on my lawn with this cheap pull behind in next couple of days and see what it does. If lousy I'll know I need to rent one.

Thanks for advice. Maybe I have no buisness doing this at all since I've never done it before. But you have to start somewhere. Like I said I don't want to do alot of it, just to pick up a new customer since this is my first year. What should I do?

Thanks again.

Adam
Old 03-28-2005, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Let's start by saying that I really hope that everyone here doesn't jump all over ou for wanting to fert. his lawn. They are going to say "If you don't know what to put down, then you are probably not lic. to do so, and you should leave it to someone who is." That being said, all of the posts after this should be nothing but helpful. I cannot speak for the aeration. The fert. I can. I also am not lic to do chem. apps. I did however form a great business relationship with the a local company that does this. I give them bus. and they give me bus. What I do is call them, and they meet me on the property. They quote me a price and then I give it a small markup and then give that as part of my estimate. The homeowner is still getting a better deal than if they went to the chem company on their own. This is the way that I provide for my customers. It works out really well for me. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobwithECLC
Thank you very much for the links and the advice. The less expensive one seems like it will do the job and it will turn a profit much quicker than the 2000 one from clausen.
Thanks again
My advice is rent one for a day for the one you want to buy and see how much it wears you out. I would be concerned with the quality of plug first and then how much it wears you out third and price forth.

Bill