Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2000, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, I know we've had this discussion before, but before I plunk down over 4 grand I just wanted to make the best decision. I'm not sure I will buy either of these machines, I'm just really impressed with the speed and time savings one of them could provide. So if any of you guys bought one early this season and have anything new to add I would appreciate it. I will be looking at a 36" most likely. I already have a 60" Dixie Chopper to take care of the big stuff. I will be using this smaller mower for islands on commercial properties and fenced back yards.
Old 05-21-2000, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A few more questions, are you happy with the quality of cut and has anyone tried the 2 blades per spindle? I also read in an old post about getting better spindles for like $25 on the Dane. Any more info on that?
Old 05-21-2000, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if this will help you or not but I asked this question about 4 months ago and I beleive more people liked the great dane super surfer.About 5 people said that the Wright Standers front caster wheels where not heavy enough.I think both machines are pretty = in quality.I think you should not maby look at the difference between the 2 machines but look at which dealer has better service,parts,price,and so on.Maby one machine is better than the other,but if you don't have parts or service to back it up you are better buying one with better dealer support.Hope this helps! <p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 05-21-2000, 02:32 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Four grand for a mower the cuts only 36 inches of turf?<p>Why not just buy a $600 walk behind and add<br>a $300 stand on sulky?<p>I only purchase used equipment that I can<br>pay off after just one or two days mowing revenue. Then for the rest of that machines life it is an asset and not a finincial liability.
Old 05-21-2000, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 52 inch Wright stander with a 16hp B&S. I tried both and prefered the feel of the Wright machine due to a larger foot platform and you also stand about 2 inches lower the great dane. I also like the handelbar feel of the wright machine. I have had no problems with the front caster wheels and they have taken a beating lately due to me slamming the deck down hard trying to clear the deck out some and also I have this thing with popping wheelies on it, its just to fun. That being said it does not go threw tall grass quite as well as my walkbehind scags, this could be helped probably by a larger engine. I paid $4300.00 for mine, it was like $600.00 more to go up to a 18 Kohler hence the 16 hp B&S. The grass has been extra tall lately so I haven't got a good chance to see the time savings yet. I tried the 2 blades and liked it at first but it seemed to slow down my blade speed in moderate grass and the quality of cut suffered so I took them off.