Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2005, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Felix
Yeah, firewood sucks. I've been splitting by hand here recently, thankfully it's mostly been walnut that's dry and straight grained. Splits easily, but it's still a PITA. Our nieghbors had their woods logged out about 2 years ago, I've been using the Allis WD to drag out tops... Ever try splitting semi-dry elm by hand? If you are ever in the mood for an a$$-kicking, give it a shot!
Beech ain't no walk in the part either, LOL.

I've prolly said this b4, but my F-I-L is a logger, and I get my wood for free from him. I get it for free, but gotta cut it up (I mostly get< 5" diameter that doesn't require splitting). Every year I struggle with the decision to burn or not. I friggin' hate firewood, but I DO love the heat from a woodstove.

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"
Old 01-18-2005, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only time elm is easy is when it's almost rotten. That's when I can split it one-handed!

To burn or not to burn is not the question here. I have no choice: our furnace doesn't work, and it's not worth fixing a 50 year-old furnace... And I'm afraid to find out what a new one will run, especially since I want to change the where it's at. But, when we do get a new one in a couple of years, that will allow for an outdoor wood burner. Which will take a lot of headache out of the firewood.

Dan
Old 01-18-2005, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Felix
But, when we do get a new one in a couple of years, that will allow for an outdoor wood burner. Which will take a lot of headache out of the firewood.

Dan
Sorry to get off topic here, Dan, but my Father-in-law has had an outdoor wood furnace for a few years now, and swears by it. He is heating two places with it -- neither of which is insulated very well. It takes I believe, up to a 4' log. It does seem like a great idea, but when the weather is like it is today < 10 degrees, I dread the idea of going out at nite to fill it.

Of course, to heat two places, that were already piped for hot air, it required a lot of underground poly pipe, and a heat exchanger for each residence. Plus for the wood furnace itself, I believe the total bill was around $8k.

Old 01-18-2005, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Off topic is fine, I'm going there too. My saw issues should be resolved in the next day or two, so there's nothing more to be discussed!

I know the outdoor wood burners are not cheap... I've checked on prices, and they are anywhere from $5k to $10k, depending on the manufacturer and how it's set up. My uncle had one built about a year ago, I think he had around $2500 in it, so that may be the way I'll go.

$10k is probably cheaper than knee/back surgery, which is where I'm headed if I have to haul the wood up 10 steps to the porch very much longer. Right now all of the grass on the left side of the steps is gone, as are the damn yews, so I've been able to back up the hill (thank god for 4 wheel drive!), and basically unload right onto the porch. All of that was taken out over the summer when we fixed the foundation under the sunroom, off camera to the left. Hopefully I'll get something planted in there this spring and post some pics then...

I'll gladly go out at night to load up the wood burner, if I don't have to carry wood up these steps any more:
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2005, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dan, why don't you take home a pallet of the old block from the rebuild job and widen those stairs!

you're gonna fall and break your azz!

Old 01-18-2005, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

why not look into a wood pellet burner?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Re-building the stairs is on the list, though it's currently WAY down there. Though I am thinking about replacing the retaining wall on the left side of the picture with the blocks from the rebuild job.... I need to decide that before I put anything back into that area....

As for a wood pellet burner, I haven't looked into one, and don't intend to. I'd still have to buy the pellets, so the dollar savings wouldn't justify one. I currently pay nothing for my firewood; all it takes is time and a little bit of gas and bar oil. And gas for the splitter when it's here....

FWIW, I've got probably close to 3-4 ricks sitting on the front porch right now. Hopefully enough to get through the rest of this month, and through next. Mark, how much wood do you burn? Based on the last 2 winters, I think I've burned between 22-28 ricks of wood, cut to 18" length.... That's to heat a house that's just a hair under 2000 s.f.

Dan
Old 01-19-2005, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dan, what the hell is a rick, lol? Midwestern for cord?

I usually burn around 8 cord, although I only prepped about 6 this year. When that's gone, I'll be turning the magic dial on the wall

Old 01-20-2005, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope, actually a rick is half of a cord.... A true rick is 4' tall, 8' long, and 2' wide. My ricks are 18" wide, as opposed to 24".

With two stoves, you only burn 8 cords? I guess if we had a working furnance, that's about all we'd burn too, since when it's warmer in the spring and fall, but the nights are cold, we are burning..........

Damn, I hate firewood!

Oh, I talked to Dad last night, I'll probably get the Poulan back from him today. I guess I should have had a CJ7 in it, instead of the 8. The carb is adjusted correctly now, though, so it should be running fine.

Dan
Old 01-20-2005, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

we scaled back to one woodstove in the basement. With the baby now, we didn't want to run the one in the living room. Besides, it gets the house too hot.

My house is fairly new, and heats fairly easily, as it's very open concept.