Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2005, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

How many doorhangers delivered per day for one man?

I know there are factors involved, but looking for a round-about average. I am talking about traditional average neighborhoods where there might be 30 to 50 feet between each dwelling. I have heard anywhere from 300 (seems low to me) up to 800. I am talking about an 8 hour day here. Doesn't have to be doorhangers either....could me post-it notes, flyers....whatever. Just looking for expierence here.

Matt

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 01-14-2005, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker-talker
I know there are factors involved, but looking for a round-about average. I am talking about traditional average neighborhoods where there might be 30 to 50 feet between each dwelling. I have heard anywhere from 300 (seems low to me) up to 800. I am talking about an 8 hour day here. Doesn't have to be doorhangers either....could me post-it notes, flyers....whatever. Just looking for expierence here.

Matt
this will be my first season using foor hangers as a form of advertising, i would also be interested as to how many people have done per day.

as well, do you walk, drive, drive with a helper?
Old 01-14-2005, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I had thought if I was going to do a mass delivering, I would buy one of those gas powered scooters...that look like a skate board. They are not too expensive and would be tax deductible. Pull up in the driveway, lay it down, hang doorhanger, pick it up off to the next house. I think it would save enough time to pay for itself.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 01-14-2005, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Matt
I did that when I first started out in a neighborhood like that, houses on top of each other, walk through the yards and concentrated on efficiency while listening to some music. Well anyway, I could do close to 1000 in a good day. Since then, when I send a couple of guys out, they do about 1000 combined. So I guess it has a lot to do with drive and determination.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

800? wow, bless your heart. I wish we could deliver that many.
I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm no lard butt, but i just do not have the motivation or even energy level in early March to hand deliver that many in a day. Early March the weather here is still pretty cold. Windy, cold, and within an hour, we are about ready to hang it up. It's a very generous number to say 200 delivered. And that's with both of us delivering them.
I never hear people on here complain about how monotonous, time consuming, and frustrating it is to deliver these things. Well let me be the first then, it is not something that we look forward to doing. That's probably why, we do very little of door to door advertising.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I had thought if I was going to do a mass delivering, I would buy one of those gas powered scooters...that look like a skate board. They are not too expensive and would be tax deductible. Pull up in the driveway, lay it down, hang doorhanger, pick it up off to the next house. I think it would save enough time to pay for itself.
A lot of the properties near us are 1+ acre lots and I thought of doing the same thing (scooter). And, I agree this is not a job I look forward to doing, scooter or no scooter.

As for how many we deliver in an 8-hour day, I'll have to get back to you on that. We've never made it through an eight hour day delivering door hangers.
She was with the Russians, too
Send lawyers, guns and money...
Old 01-14-2005, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Considering there are 480 minutes in 8 hours, I would figure that 300/day is reasonable. That's one every 1.5 minutes (approx). Including breaks etc. that is what I am shooting for this spring (it will be my first year). 800/day is one house every 40 seconds non stop! Pretty hard to do unless the owner is doing it and very motivated. You will sure want to stop if an owner comes out to talk.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, I could'nt imagine putting out 800 hangers a day. I have a hard time putting out 100. Not because or time constraints or distance between houses, but because I find it to be so damn boring.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i used to do flyers every year. We would go around inthe car and drop them by the mailboxes on the ground. And every time we would get about 2 or 3 people calling to complain saying they would call the cops on us for littering or whatever (you have to be caught in the act). But despite that, we could do about 5000 in an 8 hour day. A few miner problems, but better that 200 in a day.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnman_scott
i used to do flyers every year. We would go around inthe car and drop them by the mailboxes on the ground.
Really? how did they stay there and not blow away? You mean you put them in a baggie with a few rocks in them?