Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2005, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

New Photo Page

I've added a photo page to my web site with 2004 projects. I'd appreciate a few visitors and some feedback on the format before I get too deep into it.

http://www.gmlandscapes.com/photos.htm

Thanks

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"
Old 01-18-2005, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

looks great, mark. in fact, it's one of the more creative sites i've seen on here. love the font choice, although be sure your style sheet has a secondary font in case your users don't have the one you are using.

one thing, lose the "under construction" stuff. that's a cardinal sin of web design. besides, on an 800x600 resolution monitor, of which 45% of users still have, a visitor would never even know you have pics to see. on an 800x600, the screen, without scrolling, it shows only to the bottom of the sawhorse barricade.

great job.

tony
Old 01-18-2005, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

ooops, almost forgot. your monster logo on the first page is in the wrong format. flat color images (non-pictures) should be in .gif format. this would cut the size down from the 100+k that it is to a faster downloading, better looking image in the area of 20k or so.

also, if you wanted to make it easier on the dial-up folks, in your photos area, you could maintain quality and cut back the file sizes to approx 50-60% of what they currently are.

tony
Old 01-18-2005, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the input Tony. I've been wondering about font choices. The "Green Monster Landscapes" in the heading is a blueprint font that doesn't work on all computers. Is there someway to embed these fonts into the web site?

I wasn't aware of the standards for .gif vs. jpg. Thanks.

I know the pics are still a little big for dial up -- I'm still dial up myself at home -- but I didn't want people squinting either to try and find detail. I tried to find a medium, but on the pages with more photos, it is a little slow.

Good point on the under construction stuff too. I put it there because I didn't want people looking at the page, and thinking it was done kinda half-ass while I'm still working on it. Know what I mean???

Old 01-18-2005, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i think you've got enough on the photo page to not give the impression it's half-ass. in fact, far from it. as you add to it, maybe place the newest addition at the top with some form of tasteful "new addition" indicator to it.

with regard to font embedding, you can do it, but "can" is different than "should" . it would be irritating to visitors, plain and simple. just make sure you go into your css file and have a secondary font such as:

{ font-family: Bradley Hand ITC, Arial, Verdana

if the user doesn't have the Bradley Hand ITC font, the next font listed that they have will be used, such as Arial, then Verdana, etc.

one last thing, and this is purely subjective, from a cohesive design standpoint, i'm not a fan of the image you have at the bottom of each page. the picket fence w/ flowers image doesn't go with anything else on your site and looks like a clip art afterthought addition.

tony
Old 01-18-2005, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mark
I took a brief look at it and will look at it again later it is very nice,the walls you built down by the water came out really nice.Great Job.

www.luxurylawninc.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/LarryN828
Old 01-18-2005, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks again Tony. Good input. Maybe listing the pages that are done at the top is the way to go. Thanks also, Lux.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but why would embedding the font of choice be irritating? My thoughts to embed it are based on the fact that it is the font I use for letterhead, truck lettering, advertising, etc. Seemed unprofessional to me to let the computer pick whatever font it wanted it to be.

Although I was once a DB programmer in a former life, you're starting to talk over my head a little. I don't know what the .css file is.

Yeah, the fence at the bottom was kinda an afterthought, I guess. Seemed like the page needed a "footer". Maybe not?

Old 01-18-2005, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mark,
I have to say it's one of the better sites I've seen within our industry. I really like the job summary that goes along with the photos, IMO that gives the customer or potential customer some very good info and may allow them to visualize how & what they may want to do with their landscape. A little tweaking with fonts, etc. is understandable...it's a new site right?

Very impressed Mark. You do great work and it shows that you take pride in what you do. I don't know why you're not doing this full time, I'd think with some marketing and word of mouth you'd be turning business away due to having to much on your plate.

Great job.

Buck
Old 01-18-2005, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Buck, I built the site around this time last year, but have just recently updated the photo page. Before just recently, it was simply a link from the home page that said "Under Construction"

I was hoping to get some input on the summary text. My goal was to give potential customers a little more insight into what went on with the job, and how or why we ended up where we did with the finsihed product.

I DO take a lot of pride in my work -- thanks for noticing. Sometimes prolly, to a fault.

Why not full time? My plan was to take it somewhat slow, and transition into full time from my current job. Plus, income from a f/t job allowed me to get a good base of equipment instead of struggling with inferior stuff. Instead of f/t 2006 as planned, who knows..... maybe it will be this year. I will tell you I was much busier last year than anticipated. There is no way I can keep doing the pace I did last summer.

Thanks again, Buck.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Forgive me for my ignorance, but why would embedding the font of choice be irritating? Seemed unprofessional to me to let the computer pick whatever font it wanted it to be.
when it comes to web useability, the simpler the better. much like annoying pop-up ads, users are not typically fans of being fed downloads, which is the only way to receive your font. it's a potential security problem for them as they probably don't know you from Adam. if you go to any foreign language-based site, you'll see how the process works.

Quote:
I don't know what the .css file is.
the css file is what you are using (or frontpage is using) in order to define the layout and fonts of your site. for your site, it's located here:

http://www.gmlandscapes.com/_themes/...-/copy1110.css

i can't recall how frontpage manages style sheets, but what you want to do is append to each spot that says:

{ font-family: Bradley Hand ITC

to

{ font-family: Bradley Hand ITC, SOME STANDARD FONT, SOME OTHER STANDARD FONT.

this can be done in notepad if it's easier for you. Bradley Hand is one of those fonts that comes with various applications, but not sure if it's standard outside of the graphic design or Office Applications. you want to hit the least common denominator, so if you go with { font-family: Bradley Hand ITC, Arial and the user doesn't have Bradley, it'll "cascade" (sound familiar?) to the next viable choice, that being Arial font.

tony