Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2005, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Buck, I built the site around this time last year, but have just recently updated the photo page. Before just recently, it was simply a link from the home page that said "Under Construction"

I was hoping to get some input on the summary text. My goal was to give potential customers a little more insight into what went on with the job, and how or why we ended up where we did with the finsihed product.

I DO take a lot of pride in my work -- thanks for noticing. Sometimes prolly, to a fault.

Why not full time? My plan was to take it somewhat slow, and transition into full time from my current job. Plus, income from a f/t job allowed me to get a good base of equipment instead of struggling with inferior stuff. Instead of f/t 2006 as planned, who knows..... maybe it will be this year. I will tell you I was much busier last year than anticipated. There is no way I can keep doing the pace I did last summer.

Thanks again, Buck.
I can totally understand not going full time in that respect. That is one of the reasons I haven't gone full time yet either, maybe this year but most likely 2006. I'm thankfull for an understanding family as it takes more time away from them as I do my full time job all day then fulfill the commitments to the business which are early mornings, lunch breaks, evenings & weekends. It'll all pay off in the long run.

Buck
Old 01-18-2005, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

btw, i have approx 3,000 or so fonts on my machine, thus bradley is no problem for my pc to display. the standard IE 5.0 load includes the following fonts (microsoft does not have the listing for 6, but i know bradley isn't among them):

Andale Mono (formerly Monotype.com)
Arial
Arial Black
Comic Sans MS
Courier New
Georgia
Impact
Times New Roman
Trebuchet MS
Verdana
Webdings
Old 01-18-2005, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

tony, the bradley hasn't been a problem on most machines, but the blueprint font which is the "Green Monster Landscapes" header has been. Maybe I should just make it a graphic instead?

BTW, you keep saying Bradley, but I believe the font I used is Tempus? Maybe are getting the actual font I choose -- although it WAS Bradley at one time.

Buck -- Yes. Family suffers the most, but I CANNOT continue in my current job where I'm constantly away from home. I do not want to look back 16 years from now, and wonder when my daughter grew up, cuz I missed it all

It better pay off. I'm working too hard for it not to.

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"
Old 01-18-2005, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i'd make it a graphic (.gif).

with regard to tempus, my fault. the fonts are very similar styles. you have a style sheet attached, which is what i was looking at, but it's overridden by your actual html pages. did you realize that? either way, it's not part of the internet explorer load. it is part of ms office, but if the end-user doesn't have it, your page view will default to the visitor's selected default font in IE.

here's a list of products that include the tempus font:

Access 97 SR2, FrontPage 98, Greetings 99, Home Publishing 99, Office 2000 Premium, Office 97 Small Business Edition SR2, Office 97 SR1a, Office Professional Edition 2003, PhotoDraw 2000, Picture It! 2000, Picture It! 2002, Picture It! 98, Picture It! 99, Plus! 98, Publisher 2000, Publisher 97, Publisher 98, Works 2002
Old 01-18-2005, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek
with regard to tempus, my fault. the fonts are very similar styles. you have a style sheet attached, which is what i was looking at, but it's overridden by your actual html pages. did you realize that?
YEAH, I KNEW THAT

Sorry, no Tony. no idea what you're talking about, or how I would go about changing it, if I even should. I really just whipped this thing out in Frontpage using drag & drop. I didn't look at a single line of html code to build it. Quite frankly, at this point in time, I don't have the interest or time to learn HTML. That's why something like frontpage was so appealing.

Thanks for all your advice so far. If you think of anything else I should be doing, let me know.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

if the site displays as you'd like, then don't worry about the style sheet. it might be being used for certain aspects of your site that you don't realize, so don't bother.

style sheets allow you to make global site changes instead of having to change every little font tag.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
if the site displays as you'd like, then don't worry about the style sheet. it might be being used for certain aspects of your site that you don't realize, so don't bother.

style sheets allow you to make global site changes instead of having to change every little font tag.
For the most part it does, but that sounds handy. How do I access it?

One more question, if you don't mind. I made a simple little change to the home page -- changed the "photos" button to "On-Line Portfolio". I've resent the index page, and anything else that seems to have changed, but it's not showing up on the web.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i don't see the change either, and it's not a caching problem. i'd recheck that you saved the changes and resend the appropriate files.

as for the css file, you can open it from the link i posted earlier. or just look on your computer under that folder path. righ click and open it with notepad or through frontpage.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
i don't see the change either, and it's not a caching problem. i'd recheck that you saved the changes and resend the appropriate files.
Yeah, I thought it was a caching issue too, but no. The changes are definately there when I open it in Frontpage, and the server seems to be updated with the latest changes. Now, when you make a change as I've described in frontpage, you're basically changing the template, correct. That is, the header, margins, footer and all that stuff changes on each page. Is there something along the lines of the template I need to upload????

I'll check out the .css file too.

Thanks again.

Old 01-27-2005, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the way it's set forth - simple and easy to understand.

A clear statement of what to expect, and then the photos.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890