Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2005, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

plow seems to be drawing much power...

:blob3: it seems that when to plow is attached im drawing alot of power. if the lights are on there is a consideralbe dim when angling or lifting the plow, i even hear the fan change speeds. im thinkin eithere the alt. is on the outs or the pump or motor are going bad. all connections are cleaned and ludbed, so anything else i may be missing???? thanks tony
Old 01-19-2005, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Plows do draw a lot of power. Without knowing the details of your vehicle, it sounds as if you are using an 85 amp alternator. The minimunm I would use is a 120 amp. Also, a weak battery could cause lights to dim when plowing.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 01-19-2005, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tony, my 02 2500HD has the plow prep package and it still does that when raising or angling the plow. I've plowed 12-15 hours straight with this truck and never a problem. I take it your truck only just started doing this? Like grassmecanic said, check battery and alternator.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Even with 2 batteries and a heavy alternator, the lights are going to dim and the fan is going to change sounds, it is a very heavy draw/drain on the electrical sytem when the electric pump is working

Old 01-19-2005, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I've never seen a truck that the headlights didn't dim a little when the plow is operated. If it s getting worse first thing that i would check is the connections. If that doesn't help then it could be the motor getting ready to take a dump on you. But like I said alot of trucks headlights dim under load all the plow trucks that i've owned did, even my diesels with 2 batteries and heavy duty alternators.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 01-19-2005, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If this just started happening, it could be because of frigid weather. Even when it is not that cold (like, maybe, 25 degrees {!}), when I first start out plowing the electric draw is great until everything warms up and gets moving. But even after warming up, lights have always dimmed when I use the plow.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: hey guys, i understand that the lights will dim, yes but it is signifingant, i do have a heavy duty alt. and the battery is a new interstate, it is so obvious that the fan fir the heat varies alot. tony
Old 01-19-2005, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Grounds
:blob3: hey guys, i understand that the lights will dim, yes but it is signifingant, i do have a heavy duty alt. and the battery is a new interstate, it is so obvious that the fan fir the heat varies alot. tony
Tony, as you have already heard...Not knowing what type plow and vehicle you have I will say this. Almost every plow will dim lights, slow the fan blower, make the volt meter go negative volts....mostly due to the older plows drawing so much amperage. As long as your alternator can produce more voltage than is being used, you wont end up with a dead battery or system.

If you know how or know someone who does...why dont you check the amp draw at the plow motor. Meyer / Western / Boss / Curtis and others have specs on their websites.

I feel GOOD !!!!!
VOTED #1 in Snow Plowing Service
Complaint FREE Award Winner Lawn Care & Landscape
Old 01-20-2005, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Check all the ground connections. The battery to ground (chassis) connection is usually the culprit. Depending on the pump, it's common for the motor to draw anywhere from 85 to 200 amps. That's more than enough to dim lights.

Also, Check to make sure you don't have any of the hydraulic lines pinched or kinked. If this is an older unit, the flex lines will deteriorate and all but seal or close-up. The motor/pump has to work harder to overcome the blockage.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

connections

Mine was acting terrible just like that, dimming even stalling the truck....it was connections. No heavy alternator, no great battery and it works fine now with very clean connections...they didnt seem to look dirty, but they must have been just in the right spot