Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2005, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Aquascapes Build a Pond classes

I will be attending 2 day seminar from Aquascape Designs in April. The first day will be classroom lessons on sales, marketing,etc. and the second day is the hands on build pond day when you construct a 11x16 pond. My question is will these classes give me the knowledge I will need to start offering pond installations this coming season. I really like the idea of a hands on class and feel I will learn more by doing than by reading or watching a video.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, I have been to one of the Build A Pond Days. The guys give you all the tips and tricks on pond building. I would buy some of their books too, for example the Pond Bible.
Let me know if you have anymore ?s

Noah
Old 01-18-2005, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What should I be looking to charge to install a 11X16 pond. I had a friend of mine tell me he paid around $6000.00 for his and I almost fell over. I would like to keep my prices in line. Thank for your help.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Well thats about the going rate here in FL. That price should have included all the skimmer, biofalls, rock, plumbing and labor. An 11' X 16' pond is good size.
Here is a website of my local Aquascape Certified Contractor. There is a cool garden railroad pond on his site.
www.pondsbydesign.com
Old 01-18-2005, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is some pretty good money to be made building these things I guess. According to my catalog the kit costs in the area of $1200.00 shipped to my door,so that looks like a decent margin. Noah, how long should it take for a 2-3 man crew to install a 11x16 pond?
Old 01-18-2005, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Well it all depends Johnson Lawn, what is the soil like your going to be working in Mass. I have done an 11'X 16' pond with 3 man crew it can take 1 day, by say 6:00 or 7:00 the pond is filled, thats ofcourse, if you don't hit any irrigation lines, phone, cable, and yada yada yada.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am really pumped to get the ball rolling with installs this season,to bad it is only January. Had a high temp of 11 degrees today and is going to be a balmy 20 tomorrow with a possible major snowstorm this weekend. Come on spring!!! Noah,thanks for all your help. Mike
Old 01-19-2005, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm so jealous of that weather, just kiding!! Florida is a comfortable 55 degrees today. Good luck with the pond biz.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

aquascapes/johnsonlawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonLawn
I will be attending 2 day seminar from Aquascape Designs in April. The first day will be classroom lessons on sales, marketing,etc. and the second day is the hands on build pond day when you construct a 11x16 pond. My question is will these classes give me the knowledge I will need to start offering pond installations this coming season. I really like the idea of a hands on class and feel I will learn more by doing than by reading or watching a video.
Johnsonlawn, I was wondering where you were in Mass.? I am in the southeast, Cape Cod. I am thinking of getting into ponds, etc and wanted to touch base with you as far as suppliers, classes etc go. I currently have a Bobcat excavator, skid and all of the tools, just missing the info on where to go get started in this aspect of the business. I see very few people offering it here and I think there is a huge untapped market for it. Lots of $$$ still here looking to be spent onthese seasonal homes. I tried emailing you privately, but it wouldn't go through. Hope to hear back from you.
David
Old 02-07-2005, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vntgrcr
Johnsonlawn, I was wondering where you were in Mass.? I am in the southeast, Cape Cod. I am thinking of getting into ponds, etc and wanted to touch base with you as far as suppliers, classes etc go. I currently have a Bobcat excavator, skid and all of the tools, just missing the info on where to go get started in this aspect of the business. I see very few people offering it here and I think there is a huge untapped market for it. Lots of $$$ still here looking to be spent onthese seasonal homes. I tried emailing you privately, but it wouldn't go through. Hope to hear back from you.
David
David the class is being held by Aquascape Designs in Boston April 28th & 29th and the cost is $199.00 for both days. You have to go to www.Aquascapedesigns.com and register as a contractor. Then goto the wholesale section on the site and all of the info for the classes is right there (location, registration, etc.). I hope this helps out. By the way, I am located in Wareham and you are right about the untapped market around here for ponds. Lets make some dough!