Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2005, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

golf courses

Has anybody in here made the switch from residental and commercial lawn care to just strictly maintaining a golf course? I would someday like to just strictly maintain a 5-star golf course, I know it would be alot different from regular lawncare, but alot of things would be the same, just wondering if anyone knows much about making a switch like this?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I fyou wanna make any money you better go get your degree in turf science. I did then worked at a course for awhile just not my thing so I started my own bus. Go check it out. Their is a lot of crap you ahve to put up with that course work. Big money places pay good but they are hard to work for. Mom and pop courses are easy work with crapy pay. hit me back if you got questions

Details make money!
Old 01-19-2005, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

for a good paying job on a GC, you'll need to become a Certified Golf Course Superintendent. Plan on at least a bachelors, preferably a masters, in turf management. Those jobs are few and far between. I ran a GC for 8 years - It's no where as easy as you think it is. There are major headaches to deal with on a daily basis. Maintaining residential and commercial lawns has a higher earning potential, with less baggage.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 01-19-2005, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

golf courses can be a pita.

LOTS of area to be maintained, shoestring budgets.
uneducated ( about turf) board members calling the shots.

they are not all like that, but the nice ones do thier maintenance in house.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 01-19-2005, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I have made the switch the other way and would never go back. Was a certified super for 12 years and got out last year to do my own thing. Let me just say that you will be married to the course you would be taking care of. In my area it is mostly done in house by clubs. What would be your responsibilities? Just spraying/ fert or the whole package(mowing etc.) If you want some specific answers to questions send me a message would be glad to help any way I can. Steve
Old 01-19-2005, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardPro
golf courses can be a pita.

Lawnboy

Yes some Golf Course supers make great money. But Most courses are run by a Greens Committee. A change in the Committee is generally a change in supers. It is actually a very political job. Now others have given you reasons also as to why the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. More stress than I want to deal with.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

wow, maybe I don't want to be involved in golf courses, guess I like being my own boss, Thanks for the feedback guys
Old 01-20-2005, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
Lawnboy

Yes some Golf Course supers make great money. But Most courses are run by a Greens Committee. A change in the Committee is generally a change in supers. It is actually a very political job. Now others have given you reasons also as to why the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. More stress than I want to deal with.

that's what I am seeing as well.too much BS

the super here at the club i'm a member at only makes about $40K.
he has to work all the time. 60 hrs a week all year.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 01-20-2005, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Just as Steve has done, I made the switch the other way as well, and would never go back! I worked at the course for a total of 22 years and loved it, was the Super for only 3 and realized I hated it. I still miss the day to day operations, the planning for future improvements, the crew, and even the smell of the air at sunrise, but I will never miss the political environment of the Private Club.
Yes the money was great, but at what cost? Worked EVERY day, somedays 12 -14 hours. Very little time for family, and self. I had just built a new house, my daughter was 2 months into private college, and I walked away.
I'd lie if I said it wasn't a struggle now, but I am much happier, and a better person.
Consider this thoroughly.

Bob
Old 01-22-2005, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It would be a great job if golfers were banned.....