Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-19-2000, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got some bummer bad news today. I had ordered a 12 cubic foot bagger (with blower of course) for my 52&quot; exmark HP walkbehind. I need the blower/bagger for all of the wet weather up here in the northwest. It can rain for weeks up here. <br>I called my dealer today (again) and asked if he had heard any word on my 3 week overdue end all bagging system. He said he had. It was DELAYED again. Another month or so. I am perterbed to say the least. Some sort of problem with suppliers for the bag itself for the system.<p>Anyways, anybody actually bag out there? I mean, i know many of you dont need to. I remember the days of mowing in warm sunny weather. But, is there anyone who has to do alot of bagging wet grass? I have an aluminum side bagger now (Stolen from my 36&quot; walkbehind hellmachind exmark belt drive (P.O.S)) and it is kinda useless. Mow with 52&quot; and put it all into a regular 21 mower bag. Useless. I need ideas or companys, or just anything that will work. I really dont wanna mulch. Not good up here. We get moss really easy up here. Thanks for listening to me whine ya'll.<p>Have a good day.
Old 05-19-2000, 08:43 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
acute wrote:<p>&gt;I really dont wanna mulch. Not good up here. We get moss really easy up here. <p>Moss is due to low amount of N available to the plants.<p>By bagging you are removing needed N thus increasing the amount of moss in the lawn.
Old 05-19-2000, 09:02 AM

I dont bag grass anymore. Stopped that after the first year i started in the lawn business. I agree with Lawrence. And too you will have a nightmare trying to sop the wet grass from clogging the shoot and the mower deck opening
Old 05-19-2000, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the only time I bag is if we had 4+ days of rain & the grass is 6&quot; or more. If it's a smaller yard, I'll mow it into a circle/pile & rake it up (Also do that with leaves in the fall too). Fall is the only other time we bag.<br>I can get quicker results (depending on size of lawn) by the above method or by mowing twice at a med. setting then a lower setting for the final pass. Good luck. <p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 05-19-2000, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I never bag-mulch only. When the grass is real high, sometimes need to double-cut areas, or blow off with the blower to scatter clumps.<p>Bill
Old 05-19-2000, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We bag most everything due the ghs system on our 48&quot; Walker. Handles wet grass very well and the new models come with a 9.6 catcher. I agree mulching the clippings does return some N to lawn and are currently looking for a side discharge deck to allow mulching when the grass slows down in the summer months.<p>On another note moss in the lawn has alot more to do then just the amount of nitrogen in the lawn, such as soil ph, air circulation, shade conditions and soil compaction.
Old 05-19-2000, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I suppose i should restate one thing. I know that the moss is NOT caused by left behing clippings. I was refering to cutting the moss and it being so much that it doesnt look good when discharged. Atleast that is what i meant. I wrote that note after a 13 hour day. Wasnt at my peak if you know what i mean. lol. I am gonna look at a &quot;trac vac&quot; today. The second idea is to modify the lazer Z vac/bag to work on my 52 HP. I will only have to modify the framework to mount to the deck. The good news to that is that i have a friend that owns a Steel business. I use him alot. Thanks for the imput guys. Have a good day.
Old 05-19-2000, 01:49 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Why don't you just buy a metal bagger for<br>$200?
Old 05-20-2000, 03:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have two of them lawrence stone. Ever bag a 52&quot; into one of them? It is kinda like trying to fill a net with honey. Or something like that. They dont bag very well (and just short of not at all when wet) and dont bag very much. I have one customer that loves his two acres bagged and dumped elsewhere on the property. Only every two weeks though. Imaging mowing with a 52&quot; and then bagging into a 21&quot; size bagger. Know what i mean? I did try that too though.<br>Thanks for trying. Good day all.