Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2005, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone tried this

I have read on here about advertising and i have seen everything from door hangers and flyers to just lettering your truck and word of mouth...I just wanted to see if anybody has ever put flyers in the local newspaper before and if so how effective is it?
Old 01-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Senior Moderator

I think it is a good idea, IF your newspaper breaks the area down into zones.
Zones are good because you can specifically target the newspaper subscribers that you want. If you are forced to flood the the whole entire subscription area, then no, I don't think it will be as effective.
In our area, we can hand pick the zones we wish to target. That way we aren't advertising to a newspaper subscriber that lives downtown or in a scummy area. Remember, not all newspaper subscribers especially ones living in high rises and downtown will need lawn service, so why waste your advertising dollar with them? Hand picking zones is the best way when using newspaper advertising.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I did it last year and I am planning on doing it again this year as well.TOM brought up some good points if you can pick and chose the area's you want to advertise in.Last year my flier was B/W but did not really stand out like I wanted it to,I put 10,000 in the local paper and the next day we got about 6 inches of snow so I did not get the results I was looking for.

www.luxurylawninc.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/LarryN828
Old 01-20-2005, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks well i think i will wait until end of febuary but how much did 10,000 cost you and did it cost you anything for the newspaper people to insert them in the paper.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffh1988
Thanks well i think i will wait until end of febuary but how much did 10,000 cost you and did it cost you anything for the newspaper people to insert them in the paper.
They charged $34 per 1000 to insert them.

www.luxurylawninc.com

Old 01-20-2005, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

how much did it cost to print them
Old 01-20-2005, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffh1988
how much did it cost to print them
I can't remember the total cost I would check around with a few places before you make a decision on where to have them done.Are you doing Color or B/W?

www.luxurylawninc.com

Old 01-29-2005, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Heres something I have been thinking about. Go out early one morning in and area you want to target and catch the paper guy. Offer to pay him/her so much to put your flyer in with there papers.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are somehtings to consider when putting flyers in the paper. I have had them put in the paper, (supposedly) 3000 at one time. ZERO calls. What needs to be found out, is who is going to put them in the paper! If it is the paper route person, be cautious. I know what happened when I had to put flyers in my papers when I was a kid. There is a good chance they will end not being put in the paper. If the newspaper company is going to see that they get put in the paper, that is probably not a bad idea. I just don't like the idea of leaving it up to a route person to insert the flyers, because they don't get any more money for their work.
Also I called several of my customers that take the newspaper, and the flyers were not in the paper. I bought several newspapers and there was not any flyers in the newspapers I bought. Just some thoughts. Tony
Old 01-29-2005, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.E.
There are somehtings to consider when putting flyers in the paper. I have had them put in the paper, (supposedly) 3000 at one time. ZERO calls. What needs to be found out, is who is going to put them in the paper! If it is the paper route person, be cautious. I know what happened when I had to put flyers in my papers when I was a kid. There is a good chance they will end not being put in the paper. If the newspaper company is going to see that they get put in the paper, that is probably not a bad idea. I just don't like the idea of leaving it up to a route person to insert the flyers, because they don't get any more money for their work.
Also I called several of my customers that take the newspaper, and the flyers were not in the paper. I bought several newspapers and there was not any flyers in the newspapers I bought. Just some thoughts. Tony
When I put my fliers in the paper I dropped them off at the paper's office and they did the rest.The day that they went out in the paper I drove around to each city they were to be in to check to make sure they were there.I checked gas stations drug stores grocery stores.

However I wonder what a route carrier would say if you threw them some cash and had them throw one in the bag with the paper.

www.luxurylawninc.com