Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2005, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Browsers & webpage layout

I recently started using Firefox as my web browser. The first thing I noticed was that on my website that things are not layed out the same as they are in Internet Explorer. Paragraphs are not lined up correctly and on my photo page the photo (java/slide show) is off center to the right. It sorta looks like crap and I'm not sure what to do about it? Any help/ideas?

Thanks

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com
Old 01-21-2005, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Javascript problems

Javascript will run differently in each browser - Internet Explorere, Netscape Navigator, Firefox etc... Your website during development needs to be tested in each (now I know that Firefox probably not out when your posted your site). Firefox come with some pretty cool error reporting tools, for Java and CSS, use them You will find them under the tools tab. Here is an error I found on your page.

Error: numberobj has no properties
Source File: http://www.lawn-scapes.com/our_work.htm
Line: 94

Richard
Old 01-21-2005, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the info Richard. I'm not really sure how to fix it. I'm not a computer geek & it took me quite a while to design my simple website so it looked good in Internet Explorer. Even if I knew how to make it look right in Firefox... wouldn't it effect the way it would look in Internet Explorer? I guess I would have to keep going back and forth between the two, tweaking them until I found a happy medium?

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com
Old 01-21-2005, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I for one hate the fact that there are a million different browsers to have to code for when doing layout. The one thing that my teachers stressed in my web design classes is coding for all the browsers, all the screen sizes, etc. When I redid my halloween page using css, it was a pain in the butt getting it right for both netscape and explorer. And while checking my server logs the other day, I see that 60% of people run at a resolution of 800 by 600! Is everyone blind? I sorta gave up on trying to make everyone happy a while ago. As long as I aim at the majority of what people use and get that right, I'm good. Seems like a new browser is always popping up every year.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes you are right. With cross platform, Microsoft, Mac, Linux, etc... then multiple browsers and a whack of different HTML editors, it is hard to please everyone. In my opinion as long as your site looks good in Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator you'll make most happy. Although Firefox is being accepted by alot of users, the majority still rests in the hands of Microsoft. And to me your site looks fine in Firefox, it get the message across and that is the most important thing.