Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-24-2005, 04:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Another thing.. for all you smokers out there with the disposable lighters ...BIC is a french company... ive had bics that say "made in usa" and have had some say "made in france"... but neverless, a french company... Go back to you zippos (Im assuming their american, but could be wrong) but probably made in China.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejd
In One Aspect, I Understand The Keep Jobs Here Thing, But This Is A Whole New World And Is Changing Every Day. But The Flip Side Is That There Are Far Too Many People In These United States The Demand Cheaper Priced Products To Put An End To Buying From Over Seas. Also There Are Tons Of Businesses Here That Are Started By The Sale And Distribution Of All Those Products. Not To Mention Spare Parts And Repairs. Americans Are Still Being Employed, Just In Different Ways. Other Countries Want Our Products, Just As We Want Theirs. Pure Global Economics. We Just Need To Remain Competitive!
Very True, It sucks if your factory job gets outsourced. I however, am happy buying a $500 computer made in Korea instead of a $800 computer made in USA. It allows me to spend the saved $300 on other products (like getting my lawn worked on). As a whole, we are better off because we all can buy more with our money.

And remember, an outsourced job isnt a job that cant be replaced. The money businesses save because of outsourcing is pasted on to the customers. That means customers(You and Me) can now spend more money on other products and services. That extra spending by customers creates additional jobs here at home(USA). (I can now afford a computer AND a new set of truck tires, where before i could only afford the computer.)
Old 01-24-2005, 05:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejd
In One Aspect, I Understand The Keep Jobs Here Thing, But This Is A Whole New World And Is Changing Every Day. But The Flip Side Is That There Are Far Too Many People In These United States The Demand Cheaper Priced Products To Put An End To Buying From Over Seas. Also There Are Tons Of Businesses Here That Are Started By The Sale And Distribution Of All Those Products. Not To Mention Spare Parts And Repairs. Americans Are Still Being Employed, Just In Different Ways. Other Countries Want Our Products, Just As We Want Theirs. Pure Global Economics. We Just Need To Remain Competitive!
True on the cheaper end of things.... but they will always outsource when possible... the UAW actually have contracts with the big 3 to limit the # of jobs that leave... what percent of chinese, or taiwanese, or indian products are american??? oh wait, thier are no products like these.. too many of our jobs are turning into wal mart jobs.. if you towns like mine, there are some factory jobs left out there but not many, and in the next 20yrs that factory will jump at the chance to go overseas.... also we can lower prices if we do sumthn about the frivolous lawsuits in this country, not to mention what CEO's are makeing..

And if you think its just factory jobs.. you are sorely mistaking.. if you have a Dell comp.. call their custoemer service.. it'll be taken in INDIA

But dont take my word for it .. drive around your hometown.. youll notice restaraunts, walmarts, and other retail stores goin up.. but factorys leave.. oh youll see some fact.'s, go up and stick around (and even do good) but do your own homework.. ck the # of factory jobs 20yrs ago in the area... If you think this country can be ran by $7/hr walmart jobs then you shouldnt have a problem with this..

We wont see the results right away.. but one day, maybe 20 -30yrs , it may come and bite us on the ass... or our kids ass.

One other thing... American co's who do business in China pay a high tax to the chinese gov... GM's has buik assembley plants in china.. 55% of profits go to the chinese.... so, in a sense, American co's are funding a system that builds nuclear bombs and points them at our cities...
Old 01-24-2005, 05:11 AM
LawnSite Member

You need the guy making $14/hr at a factory so he can shop at walmart to employee the guy whose making $7/hr... send the $14/hr job overseas, then you better hope that the guy making $7/hr at walmart is shopping at Kroger's to employee the guy whose making $6/hr.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Oh hogwash,
Can you back any of that up with facts.

The main point is this. The whole country is better off being able to buy a car for $13k instead of $16K. Now more people can afford to buy a car. The quality of living has gone up. Same with computers, same with Tv's.

A few people loss jobs. So they retrain and get different jobs. There are more jobs TODAY, then 10 years ago, even WITH outsourcing. Change isnt always bad.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclaughld
Oh hogwash,

The main point is this. The whole country is better off being able to buy a car for $13k instead of $16K. Now more people can afford to buy a car. The quality of living has gone up. Same with computers, same with Tv's.

A few people loss jobs. So they retrain and get different jobs. There are more jobs TODAY, then 10 years ago, even WITH outsourcing. Change isnt always bad.
I don't know about where you live but there are whole regions where unemployement is a big problem. Outsourcing is crushing the manufacturing industry. Even once stabil industries like textile goods and furniture manufacturing are going overseas.

Just what kind of job are you going to retrain someone who has made brushes their whole life for? The US is fast becoming a service based ecomomy and that isn't a good thing.

We also cannot continue to send American dollars overseas. Sure we can "print" more but the dollar is loosing ground everyday to other currencies because of that practice.

You really need to get out of the Bay Area with it's hyperinflated real estate driven economy and see what's happening in the rest of the country. It ain't all peaches and cream.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, and I also want you to look at this website. Although it makes fun of what it shows the sad truth is that there is way too much of this kind of thing in our great nation. I have been to places where there is just mile after mile of this type of thing. Try telling these people that things are great.

http://www.drbukk.com/gmhom/park.html

Old 01-24-2005, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1alx
You couldn't pay me to drive a foreign-made truck. I just prefer to support my fellow American citizens
I'd swear my new F-150 has a Mazda transmision and possibly many more parts......and arn't all small block Chevy's made in Mexico, at least the Goodwrench 350 replacement engine is.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclaughld
Oh hogwash,

Hogwash? No, it's more like BRAINWASHED!!! You see Mclaughld, it's you and yours (the majority of americans) that is feeding our certain demise. It's seems we have forsaken plain and simple common sense economics in favor of this new 'fuzzy math' crap. The same crap that has been pounded in your head by the media and politics. The irony of this is that both are controlled by the elite weathy, which in reality are the only ones that imported goods and exported jobs really benefit.

You know, your mind is still capable of self induced thought....
Spend some time generating a thought or two of your own for a change.
You'll be surprised how clear it all becomes.

If not, you'll figure it out soon enough, when the err of your thoughts and actions pay your local economy a visit in the 'Cali Bay Area'......

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 01-24-2005, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snippy
Don't worry guys, pretty soon those cashed up chinkies are all going to want SUV's, Harlies, computers etc ... and other US made goods and I'm sure there'll be a maccas on every street corner in Bejing before too long with all those royalties flowing back to the USA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejd
Other Countries Want Our Products, Just As We Want Theirs. Pure Global Economics. We Just Need To Remain Competitive!
Now guys, I gotta ask.... have you checked the currency exchange rates, ever??? Select any currency you want and imagine yourself as a citizen on that country who wants to buy a new American ZTR. Do the math and see what you learn.... or better yet, just ask the Australian guys here what they pay for our mowers in Aussie dollars, and if that's not shocking enough, ask what they can charge in Aussie dollars an our for their services!

As far as remaining competitive... well that's a farce... plain and simple!
It can't be accomplished in this US economy, period!
If you don't believe that, then just ask the Mexican workers IN Mexico.
Even they can't compete with Chinese imports.
Matter of fact they have had to BAN some Chinese imports to protect Mexican industries.

For once, you guys need to stop allowing the media and politics to keep you pre-occupied with the issues that want you to worry about. Want to become shocked and worried about a real pressing issue that you really need to be concerned with????.... Check out the deficit.... bet $100 the first thing you thought of was the US budget deficit.... was I right???

Think about it. Now go research the US TRADE DEFICIT with other countries...

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"