Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-04-2005, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Newsletters

We all ponder the importance of keeping our names out there. It is, without a doubt, important to maintain awareness of our companies' names, after all.

Have you ever thought about using a newsletter to help spread your company's name and credibility? If so, what sort of ideas have you tossed around when thinking about a newsletter?

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've done a monthly newsletter for years but just this year went to seasonal because it takes so much time to produce. It's tricky trying to find a balance between it being interesting enough to get people to read it and informative enough to be able to be used as a sales tool. I find it's a great way to keep my clients informed and up-to-date on our services. I always put seasonally appropriate add-on services in it to upsell the clients. I get great feedback from my clients. They really seem to enjoy reading it and I always book extra services as a result.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think quarterly makes more sense than monthly, anyway. Do you have any idea what it costs you to do the newsletter and how much revenue it generates?

Old 02-05-2005, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mark, I seem to remember 65hoss (Eric) and GarPa (Gary) sent them out quarterly...try PMing them maybe.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I set it up on my computer then run down to Kinko's and copy it to my letterhead, it's faster and cheaper than printing them off on my inkjet. Besides my time, it costs about 40 cents per double-sided copy. It's sent out with the invoices for that month so the postage doesn't cost any extra.

I don't track the additional revenue. While it's a consideration, I view it more of a service to my clients and a way to keep them informed. It also cuts down on the phone calls and emails I get from customers as they are "in the loop".
Old 02-05-2005, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm gonna attach a copy of my latest newsletter - bare with me as this is my first attempt at attachments. Hopefully this works, the image quality may suck but you'll get the idea.

My newsletter is by no means some professional, high gloss production but I try to make it as professional looking as possible.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2005, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like what you do with your newsletter. You use both sides of the paper and keep clients up to date on how you're taking care of their lawns and landscapes. Do you publish monthly or quarterly? Also, do you ever distribute copies to homes in the neighborhoods where your customers live?

Now for food talk. Do you REALLY stand behind that scampi reicpe? I love shrimp scampi. We should all convene at a restaurant where they serve the stuff and just pig out. Too bad the folks on this site couldn't possibly all get together.

Old 02-05-2005, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I do stand behind the recipe but I left out one VERY crucial ingredient: the juice of one fresh lemon! What a bone head.

I've never distributed it to other people in neighborhoods. I've thought about it but then it I'm not much in going door-to-door doing the flyer thing. Like I said, it's pretty much a tool for existing clients.

I print it as we approach a new season or any other time I have something the needs to be said.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mark- I haven't thought about creating my own newsletter, but I can tell you that advertising in those small monthly newsletters that a lot of HOA's put out is a pretty good deal. They are inexpensive enough (usually $10-20 per month) that you can run an ad for a period of time. I've gotten a decent number of calls from them.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dkeisala, I'm often inclined to use lime rather than lemon in such recipes. Depends on some of the other ingredients, though. If I use a lot of butter, I'll go with lime. More olive oil and I'm inclined toward lemon.

Andy, good point about the HOA newsletters, but I'm thinking that if I develop a newsletter and really jack up the circulation (not necessarily by mailing it to a gazillion homes: one can always get shopping centers to let you put them around), I can sell advertising. This grade of newsletter takes a while to build up and it might be impractical for any one of several reasons. Still, I think it may just have some merit.

I won't take a crack at it this year, but next year I may just launch such a thing. First year wouldn't be any big shakes, but over time? Who knows?