Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2005, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cormier
Start now!!, David, I was always one to wait until spring to start selling, but I know there are people out there right now marketing, I would suggest start telemarketing right now.

Maybe someone that is telemarketing right now can suggest some database programs to use, Ive use INfo usa, ProCD in the past, not sure if they are still around.

By far this is the cheapest way to get customers, I know it sucks, I hated doing it, but I think YOU gotta use this tool this season. Start with something like this

" Hi Mrs Jones, My name is David, Im calling from Discovery lawns, We have a few estimates set up in your neighborhood for our lawn program, we hope to be doing these as soon as the snow melts enough to see some grass. I was wondering if we could provide one of these free lawn estimates for you?"

Or ( this is the way I telemarketed my last few years doing it)

Hi Mrs Jones, My name is David, Im calling from Discovery lawns, We will be mailing out our brochure on our 5 step lawn program to some of you neighbors, its free and their is no obligation, I was wondering if I could mail one out to you? "

Then the next day I drive around and look at all the lawns that said yes, and guesstimate the size from the truck, and then mail them out a full brochure with estimate form. This is kinda like a direct mail/telemarketing program that worked pretty good for me.

Now to the person you will hire to help with work, maybe a temp agency will be the better way to go, I know the type of people you get are questionable, but its probably the cheapest,and if the person doesn't work out it much easier getting rid of them, Plus you can wait until the last moment to get them on board.
James, what kind of return?
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 01-28-2005, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

don't forget to hit the "do not call" site and download the lists for your area codes.