Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2005, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Grants

I am trying to apply for a grant to expand my business. Does anyone have any information? Thanks Jesse
Old 01-26-2005, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ever been Snipe hunting? kinda the same thing.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

unless you are a non-profit, it's as mac says. the bulk of what you hear about getting grants for your business is nothing but scams.

if you search on "grant", you'll find a few threads on this with greater detail.

tony
Old 01-27-2005, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am actually in the process of doing an application now. It's a lot of work I spend about 5-10 hrs. per week on it. One way of going about it is you need to partner up with a non profit organization that will help support your business plan. It doesnt necessarily have to be green industry related. Getting non profits to help back you isnt as hard as it sounds, basically you offer them a percentage of your award when you get it, say 5%, a lot of non profits will jump on this because it's basicaly free money for them with little to no work. Talk to potential funders, find out there requirements to apply for the grant, and make sure they have an interest in what you trying to do. Have a very well organized, easy to read application, I personally am also including my business plan. When my final ap is done it will probably be around 40-50 pages. Go to the bookstore and get some books on writing sucessful grants. It's a lot more involved then just filling out a few pages of paper work. You need to show that your community needs landscapers/lawn guys, how you better your community, etc... So far it's been a great winter project for me and who knows I may even get some money out of it. Either way doing this has given me a better understanding of my own business, why I 've chosen this career path, how I can make my company work, and a much better understanding of my numbers.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow! Snipe?
Grants are real and obtainable.
Get in contact with your local SCORE program.
Talk with local and state Gov. they will be glad to head you in the right direction. Fed. grants are a large part of your local governments buget.
Also, your banker will help along with any University Extension Office.
Just like the previous post states, it is a great exercise in bus. planning.
There are professional grant writing offices if you want to pay someone to do it for you.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ladibugg, do you actually have any experience with grants for the private, for profit sector???? your advice, especially the possibility of hiring someone to do it for you is irresponsible at best, and throwing money into the wind at worse.

i'll give on the "understanding your business" aspect as a great exercise, but grants for for profit business is highly, highly unattainable.

tony
Old 01-28-2005, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

from the SBA (small business administration) and SCORE (service corp of retired executives):

---------
this is taken directly from the intro paragraph on the sba.gov website, specifically under the grants section:

The U.S. Small Business Administration does not offer grants to start or expand small businesses, although it does offer a wide variety of loan programs. (See http://www.sba.gov/financing for more information) While SBA does offer some grant programs, these are generally designed to expand and enhance organizations that provide small business management, technical, or financial assistance. These grants generally support non-profit organizations, intermediary lending institutions, and state and local governments.

http://www.sba.gov/expanding/grants.html

---------

and from SCORE:

Funny Money: Claims of "Free" Government Funding for Entrepreneurs are No Laughing Matter

Let’s get the bad news out of the way first: there is no such thing as free money from the federal government to start or expand your small business.

Does that mean all those ads for books, seminars and courses claiming to help you tap into little-known programs are wrong? It depends. While there are some patently false and misleading advertisers out there, most “free money” pitches simply do not tell the entire story. There is a reason why the proverbial “fine print” is so small.

True, many government agencies provide grants to small businesses, as do private organizations and institutions. But as home-business-savvy.com notes, “they generally direct their assistance toward specific projects, charities, lending institutions, non-profit organizations, educational institutions, etc. Very little money goes to individuals.”

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), an agency dedicated to the growth and success of the nation’s entrepreneurs, is no different. What few grant programs the SBA has are directed mainly to non-profits, intermediary lending institutions and programs administered by states and localities for purposes such as economic revitalization and technology research.

http://www.score.org/free_money.html

---------
Old 01-28-2005, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get a business revolving line of credit from your bank...so much easier to deal with too btw.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I also agree that a credit line from your bank is much easier. Another note on the grants, free federal funding to start a business is not common and is very tough to get. Most gov. funding is not free they also offer loans with either little and in many cases 0% interest. When applying for grants your best chance of getting money from them is through the many different small business loans they offer.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

greenedge

There was a program on TV this afternoon that was encourageing people to learn how to apply. Supposingly, there is a lot of "free" money available if you are elegiable and apply to the proper agencies. This info was listed on the program........www.ngcreg.com

Gene