Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2005, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Trademark / Servicemark Registration

Does anyone have their company name or logo trademarked? Just curious if you ever seen anyone copying names, logos or slogans...?
Old 01-27-2005, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Please don't take this the wrong way but I didn't know there were Gators in Oklahoma. Also your Gator looks like he's holding his johnson. You can register your name but I don't think you can register a gator, but I could be wrong. Someone else on here had a logo that I thought was done poorly. I like the names but not the logos. I think it was Lighting Lawn's. His logo is in a circle and his name is on the circle, but his name is upside down at the bottom and unreadable. Little things in a name or logo need attention. When you make a logo you need to understand the basics in advertising. Never design in, hard to read text or misunderstood graphics. No one advertises in a circle or arch with text. McD's uses an arch but the letters pass through the arch. Now when people see the McD's arch they don't even read the name. People may remember a hands on gator, but they would remember "your" name better if he was pushing his mower instead of his other stuff.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

yes you can trademark the gator. it's the mark that matters, not the content. <edit> when i say the content, i'm referring to the gator, the name could be a whole 'nother problem </edit> you can trademark at the state and federal level. unless you have ambitious plans, the state protection should suffice. the federal process is a.) time consuming and b.) expensive as it's not a typical diy.

if there's no gators in oklahoma, i guess you stand out just that much more, no? you could go with a covered wagon i guess, but that would get lost in the noise of what oklahoma is. be different, stand out. i think you're the same guy that posted his flyer? the gator looked great on there and was memorable. that's the goal.

tony

Last edited by tonygreek; 01-27-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys.

This likley would not be the actual logo we trademark. We've made several changes since then. We do get a lot of fun comments locally when people see it so we though we might want to protect it.

By the way....YES, there are alligators and crocs in Southeastern Oklahoma

http://www.uga.edu/srel/ecoviews9-10-00.htm

Q. - Do you know where I might find information about states in which alligators are found, even in small numbers? I have heard they are found in Oklahoma and Arkansas.

A. - American alligators are found in Oklahoma (southeast corner), and parts of Arkansas, the Carolinas, all of Florida, and the southern parts of all of the Gulf Coast states (throughout Louisiana). The following Web site has a fact sheet about alligators (www.parcplace.org/education). Incidentally, alligators are also native to China, although the Chinese alligator is nearly extinct in the wild.